August 15, 2020
Swimmers and Families-
LOTS OF INFORMATION - READ CAREFULLY
WOW! 2020 has certainly made some waves (pun intended)! We are excited that our recent Elk Grove Piranhas clinic program has been a great success, has complied with public health requirements, and has offered swimmers the opportunity to train in an environment where the fate of many youth sports programs is restricted. We have learned a lot in the last few weeks and have been working with the City and CSD to understand and implement a training program for Piranhas Aquatic Club, USA Swimming and USMS Master’s Swimming, that meets or exceeds public health requirements related to COVID-19.
As many of you experienced during our recent clinics, we are limited in the number of swimmers per lane and total number of lanes. This created the need to increase costs in delivering our services. We are very mindful of this and have been working hard to manage our expenses and reduce costs where we can. Specifically, we were successful in securing some grant funding from USA Swimming to help defray some of the costs and we are committing 100% of those monies to directly supporting reduced registration dues.
In addition, we recognize that there still is quite a bit of uncertainty surrounding COVID-19. While we hope that the public health environment will continue to move in a positive direction, we don’t think anyone can say with certainty what will come. So, to be responsive to potential disruption that may occur in the future, we are keeping PAC’s 2020 Registration SIMPLE!!
PLEASE REVIEW THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY AS THERE ARE A LOT OF DETAILS.
- Seasonal USA Swimming and USMS Master’s Program (September 2020 through January 2021)*
- Month-to-Month registration (no-30-day notice to cancel; however, no refunds once registered as we are holding your spot; no pro-rated registrations)
- NO REGISTRATION FEE!
- NO MANDATORY FUNDRAISING REQUIREMENT!
- NO VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT (unless you attend a swim meet [if held]; parent must be available to time at the meet)
- Because we are managing our costs, no caps or t-shirts will be provided; however, an online team store with all our gear will be available in mid-September.
- For our USA Swimmers, Parents and Swimmers Must Complete Safe Sport Training; click learn.usaswimming.org (see login directions below).
- USA Swimming and Masters Practices start September 8, 2020
*Currently, we intend to implement a seasonal USA swimming program from September through January and we have planned the Master’s program through the end of January.
Swim Groups - See Group Flyer and website for Practice times.
- Gold -$190/month – plus one-time registration with USA Swimming ($20 – https://www.swim-smarter.com/ )
- Blue - $175/month - plus one-time registration with USA Swimming ($20 – https://www.swim-smarter.com/ )
- White - $150/month - plus one-time registration with USA Swimming ($20 - https://www.swim-smarter.com/ )
- College/Masters - $75/month
Your swimmer’s practice group will be determined by our Head Coach, Brenda Smart. If you are a current Piranha family, please consult with Brenda on the assigned group for your swimmer. If you are new to the Piranhas, we would love to meet and learn more about you, your accomplishments, and your goals for the program. Please email Coach Brenda at email@example.com
The practice groups are organized by age and ability as follows. Exceptions can be made at the Head Coach’s discretion. All groups will include organized training, workout preparation, and stroke instruction.
- Gold - Generally, 13-18 years old; high commitment; mastery of strokes; technical proficiency; understand racing strategy
- Blue - Generally, 8*-12 years old; solid technical foundation; beginning to understand racing strategy; focuses on details. *8 year olds must have knowledge of 4 strokes and can complete flip turns.
- White - Generally, 5-8 years old; emerging swimmers; focus on developing proper technique; building stamina
- College/Masters - College/Adult swimmers
Registration will open on August 18, 2020. Click the registration button on our home page (or click here).
The registration process will require you to enter “Account Holder” and “Member” information. This is a separate website from the Elk Grove Piranhas Swim Team, so you will need to set up a new account through this website.For those who are previous PAC members, we have temporarily activated your account, so your registration process is easier. If you do not register for September, your account will be deactivated.
- Account Holder = usually parent or guardian of minor swimmer or the registering master swimmer. The account holder and any other designated emails will receive all team communications.
- Member = swimmer (age group or Master) who will participate in our program. Emails can be added for members to receive team communication. Click “Add Member” for each additional member under the account holder.
You will be prompted to select the swim group for each member. For new swimmers (i.e., not part of our current Piranha family) please use the group definitions as a guide and select the group that best fits your swimmer.
All fees and dues will be collected through our online system and no checks or cash will be allowed.
At the time of registration, you will be asked to review and check that you will comply with the following. All of these documents are available on our website:
- Medical Release Waiver
- Liability Waiver
- COVID-19 Waivers
- Photo Liability Release
- Parent and Swimmer Code of Conduct
We thank you so much for your interest in our program and we can’t wait to see all of you on the pool deck! If you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
A Letter from Coach Brenda
We are excited to announce our Fall and Winter Piranhas Aquatic Club (PAC) program will begin on Tuesday, September 8th. We will be running this year’s program a little different than the past two seasons to account for the uncertain times we have been faced with. We have designed the program to be flexible and responsive to our family’s needs. We can’t wait to see how many will be on the pool deck this fall.
Many of you may be asking “Why Swim for PAC?” Whether a swimmer swims with us one month or many years they become a part of our Piranhas family. Our program not only encourages each athlete to believe in themselves, but works on teaching them proper technique, and the “why” behind what we are doing. We challenge our swimmers in a positive and constructive environment. Our swimmers are all different, they learn differently, they are motivated differently, and all need to be pushed differently. Some swimmers learn a skill quickly, while others may take several months or longer to achieve it. And, that is OK! We strive to teach each swimmer that perseverance and working hard helps them to achieve goals in the pool and in life. We want them to never give up and to always believe in themselves. Our coaches mix up the training, so it doesn’t become a monotonous and boring activity. We understand that a large part of youth sports is to make it fun and social, while challenging them to achieve their goals. We help each athlete see their potential. Most importantly, a swimming program such as ours allows them to participate in an activity and establish a normal route in an environment that is anything but normal because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It allows them to see their friends (socially distant of course) and participate in physical exercise and burn off excess energy in a controlled environment.
For those of you wondering what health standards we are adhering to, the Sacramento County Department of Health has now determined that based on the size of the lanes and the area surrounding the pool, and with practice of social distancing entering and exiting the facility, 4 swimmers per lane are allowed. We run practices with alternating directions per lane to minimize passing contact and to ensure more than 6 feet of separation is provided at all times.
The Centers for Disease Control has issued a statement on pools and chlorine related to COVID-19.
“There is no evidence that COVID-19 can spread to people through the water used in pools, hot tubs, or water playgrounds. Proper operation and disinfection of pools, hot tubs, and water playgrounds should kill the virus that causes COVID-19.” www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/index.html.
We will continue to follow all of our current COVID-19 safety policies and procedures in place, as our swimmers and coaches’ health and safety are our top priority. Please see attached safety protocols for complete details as well as.
We can’t wait to see all of you on the pool deck!
Head Coach Brenda Smart
SAFE SPORT TRAINING
WE REALLY NEED YOUR HELP TO MAKE OUR CLUB A BETTER, SAFER, & MORE PROTECTED PLACE FOR OUR MEMBERSTO THRIVE!
USA Swimming has a program called “SAFE SPORT”. USA Swimming is committed to safeguarding all of its members with the welfare of its athlete members as top priority. Safe Sport is USA Swimming’s comprehensive abuse prevention program and provides tools for swim clubs to educate their members and intervene in risky situations.
We, Piranhas Aquatic Club, fully endorse and support USA Swimming’s Safe Sport and Safety programs by helping to provide countless resources for our club members on our very own website, click here.
OUR GOAL, AS A TEAM, IS TO BECOME A “SAFE SPORT RECOGNIZED” CLUB BY USA SWIMMING. In order to do this, certain requirements must be met. Some of which include learning exercises for our swim parents and athletes. WE NEED ALL OF OUR SWIM PARENTS AND ATHLETES TO TAKE A QUICK COURSE ONLINE WITH USA SWIMMING.
PLEASE HELP OUR TEAM BY TAKING A FEW MINUTES TO COMPLETE A TRAINING EXERCISE THAT WILL HELP TO PROTECT OUR SWIMMERS AND OUR MEMBERSHIP!
PLEASE follow the instructions below:
1. Go to the learn.usaswimming.org website. Scroll down to “Free Training for Parents” or “Free Training for Athletes”
2. Please click “Register”
3. On the right, please click “Create Account” for Non-Member (e.g., non-athlete or coach) access to LEARN
4. Please fill in all required personal information and be sure to select “Sierra Nevada Swimming” as your LSC and "Piranhas Aquatic Club" for your club.
5. Select “Courses”
6. Click the “Parent’s Guide to Misconduct in Sport” or “Safe Sport for Athletes” box and follow the directions until completion.
7. If you are a current member of USA swimming, whether a parent or an athlete, please use your login information and navigate to the Safe Sport Training Area for these exercises. Thank you.