September 8, 2020
As we are just a few hours away from the start of the short course 2020-2021 season, we wanted to review some information regarding weather and safety expectations when practices are scheduled at Birchwood pool.
• If the weather calls for rain during your practice, we will plan on swimming, unless it is too cold. We will send out communication in a timely manner if the temperatures drop below a level that would be counter-productive.
- The water is heated, but please dress appropriately before/after practice.
- Practice will be cancelled if there is lightning in the area. We ask parents to stay in the area if lightning is a possibility as we cannot shelter indoors.
• When parking at Birchwood, try to leave a minimum of one space between each other.
• Athletes will only be permitted to enter the building 10 minutes before their scheduled practice. If they arrive early, they must wait in their car until the appropriate time to enter the building.
• Athletes must leave Birchwood immediately at the completion of any practice.
• Parents/spectators will not be allowed in the building or on deck at any time and are expected to practice social distancing when waiting for their swimmer. We understand this may bring Safe Sport concerns. With Birchwood being completely open and our fence being transparent, we feel these practices are open and observable to meet Safe Sport standards. We will re-evaluate our procedures when the indoor pools are introduced.
• When arriving to the pool deck, please use the front entrance. When departing from practice, please use the gate near the score-board end of the pool.
• Although locker rooms and bathrooms will be open for limited use, we encourage athletes to arrive and depart in their suits.
• There will be a grid area for athletes to leave their personal belongings to ensure social distancing on the deck. Once athletes arrive on deck, they will go immediately to their grid spot and await instructions from their coach.
• Athletes should bring their own water bottles (already filled). Use of the water fountains at the facility will also be limited.
• Anyone entering inside of the Birchwood facility must wear PPE masks
• Athletes will swim with a maximum of two (5) athletes per lane, starting from opposite ends of the pool and at set points in the middle of the pool.
• Any athlete or staff experiencing any symptoms of a fever (100.4°F or higher), recent cough, unusual fatigue, headache or has had any exposure to someone who has any symptoms, (which includes family and friends) should remain at home and seek medical treatment. If any athlete or staff does have a fever or symptoms of illnesses, they may not attend a practice until 14 days after the fever or symptoms has ceased. Athletes and staff must see a physician and be cleared for training after being diagnosed or suspected to have COIVD-19.
• For everyone to stay healthy and be able to keep swimming, we ask our athletes to please practice responsible social distancing when they are away from the pool as well.
• PPD staff will be disinfecting the bathrooms and locker rooms throughout the day and we will provide disinfecting wipes inside the restrooms as well.
Finally, if you have a new swimmer on the team that is 11 & under, please read and fill out the PPD Sign In/Out waiver letter below.
Live slow, swim fast