October 5, 2020
We sincerely appreciate all your help throughout the 2019-2020 swim year. Your dedication and support were instrumental in the result of yet another successful year for Canyons, despite the impact that Covid-19 continues to have on the swim community.
In a normal swim year, Canyons charges each family a Family Commitment Fee of $10 per month for Pre-Team level swimmers, and $25 per month for all other groups. Families that swim for all 11 months of the swim year (September – July) are only charged for 10 months of Family Commitment Fees (July is a “free” month), for a yearly total of either $100 for Pre-Team swimmers or $250 for all others. Families have the opportunity to volunteer throughout the year and earn Family Commitment Fees back at the rate of $5 per hour, which means that 20 hours of volunteer work for Pre-Team level families, and 50 hours of volunteer work for all other groups, will earn your full Family Commitment Fee refund.
Due to the fact that Covid-19 forced the closure of our club mid-season this year, which both altered the Family Commitment Fee billing and did not allow our families the full amount of opportunities to volunteer and earn their Family Commitment Fees back, Family Commitment Fee reimbursements FOR THE 2019-2020 SWIM YEAR ONLY will differ from the usual system described above. These changes will include the following:
*Family Commitment Fees were only charged for 8 months of the 2019-2020 swim year (September 2019 – March 2020, and July 2020) due to Covid-19. Therefore, the maximum FCF refund amount this year will be $80 for Pre-Team level swimmers, and $200 for all other groups.
*Volunteer work for the 2019-2020 swim year will be reimbursed at the rate of $8 per hour. Because essentially half of our yearly volunteer opportunities were taken away with the shut down, including two of the large invitational swim meets that we were scheduled to host (Memorial Day Meet and Summer Junior Olympics) we have adjusted the reimbursement rate to reflect that fewer hours of completed volunteer work will allow for the maximum FCF refund of $80/$200.
If you volunteered in the 2019-2020 swim year (running from September 2019 through the beginning of the Covid-19 shut down in March of 2020) and would like to claim a refund of your Family Commitment fees for service hours worked, please follow the instructions listed below.
- Go to www.canyons.org
- Log in to your account, then click on the My Account box on the left side of the page.
- Click on $ My Invoice/Payment box (again on left side)
- Click on the Service Hours tab at the upper center of your screen, next to the Invoices tab.
- Look at your list of completed jobs only in the box dated 09/19. You will see hourly amounts next to each job on the list, which defines how much credit you earned by working that job. Add up those hours and you will see the total service hours you can request your Family Commitment Fee refund for.
- If your tabulation equals or is greater than 10 hours for Pre-Team families, or 25 hours for all other families, you are entitled to the maximum refund of your Family Commitment Fee, which is equal to the maximum amount you paid in FC fees over the year ($80 or $200 depending on the level, if you swam all 8 months that we were in session this year). If your tabulation is less than 10/25 hours, your points will be credited at $8 per hour. For example, if your swimmer is in JO2 and your tabulation is 20 hours, you are entitled to a refund of $160. If your swimmer was in Pre-Team and your tabulation is 5 points, you are entitled to a refund of $40.
- Determine what you would like to do with your refund. You may keep the entire refund, donate the entire refund to Canyons, or keep a portion and donate a portion. Donated funds will be acknowledged with a letter from Canyons for use on your tax returns. Any refund that you wish to keep can be credited to your Canyons account, or mailed to you in the form of a check.
- Email your request for your Family Commitment Fee refund, along with the following information to email@example.com –
*Your Name (as it appears on your Canyons account) and swimmer’s name
*Your point tabulation (we are happy to figure this out for you if Steps 1-6 are confusing!)
*Instructions on what you would like to do with your refund
*Your current mailing address for reimbursement check mailing purposes
Canyons will attempt to get refund checks to you as quickly as possible, but please expect to see as much as a 2 week turnaround. If you choose to apply your refund to your Canyons account, the amount should be credited on the next billing statement, depending on the date we are notified of your request.
ALL FAMILY COMMITMENT FEE REFUNDS MUST BE REQUESTED VIA EMAIL NO LATER THAN 11/9/20. ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE VOLUNTEER COORDINATORS VIA EMAIL AT VOLUNTEER@CANYONS.ORG .
Thank you all for your understanding and patience as we do our best during these unprecedented times to give our Canyons Family the credit you all deserve for the many hours of hard work you put into our team. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you have!
Danielle Lloyd and Erin Waldman
Canyons Volunteer Coordinators