USA Swimming Grants Extension for Renewing CPR and In-Water Safety Training
November 25, 2020
Swimming is granting an extension until March 31, 2021, for coaches
whose In-Water Safety Training and/or CPR/AED certifications expire
March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
Coach Certification Requirements - Extensions - With the continuation of many facilities being closed due to COVID-19, coaches may find it difficult to renew some certifications. USA Swimming's Risk Management Committee met and on advice of the Certification Subcommittee, the following steps are being taken to assist with this issue for coaches whose In-Water Safety Training and/or CPR/AED certifications expire between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021. This will replace the extension ending December 31, 2020.
For agencies that are granting certification extensions Submit the following to your LSC registrar:
* Any correspondence from the agency that provides specific information about the extension, including the new expiration date(s). Examples of correspondence include provisional/temporary certificates, email notifications from the agency, etc.
* A copy of your In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications showing an expiration date within the dates stated above.
For certifications from any agency that does not grant an extension - USA Swimming is granting an extension until March 31, 2021, for coaches whose In-Water Safety Training and/or CPR/AED certifications expire between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
Please note the following:
- For CPR/AED and In-Water Safety Training certifications that expire during the above stated timeframe, SWIMS and Deck Pass will be updated to reflect the new expiration date of 03/31/2021.
- Programming changes are necessary and will be done as soon as possible. In the meantime, coaches may receive reminders about expiring certifications until the current expiration dates are rolled forward to 03/31/2021.
- Any coaches who can renew the certifications listed above should send their updated certificates to their LSC registrar as usual.
- Those with expirations prior to the first extension of March 1, 2020 or who have not completed a CPR course and/or In Water Safety Training WILL NOT receive an extension and/or exemption as they should have completed a class prior to the virus.
- New coaches should work under the direct supervision of a certified coach until they are able to complete the required courses.
It is imperative that coaches continue to make every effort possible to obtain in person certifications as opportunities become available. Further, other certifications and membership requirements must be updated on or before their current expiration date for courses that are completed online. These courses include Athlete Protection Training, background checks, Coaches Advantage Training, Concussion Protocol Training and online Safety Training for Swim Coaches.