February 1, 2021
Four Corners + Region 12 Coaches & Clubs,
Based on all available information, the Section Board, in conjunction with local host team(s), has created the following plan to host multiple Sectionals meets to accommodate both Four Corners and Region 12 athletes in Phoenix this March, and offer an April date at Dixie State in St George, Utah.
In contrast to traditional years, the meets will not have identical formats, will not be the same size, will not offer the same number of finalists, and generally will be adapted to manage the number of athletes that can be accommodated on each respective weekend.
As you read the information below, please understand, the volunteers who run the Section Board, and the teams that have collaborated to put this plan together, are working in good faith of all parties. There may be situations that individual athletes or teams encounter that are different from what may normally be expected.
Please help us by guiding your athletes, parents, and families through those situations with a perspective of flexibility and gratitude for the opportunity.
Western Region Section Board
Jody Braden, Shawn Smith, Jeff Gudman, Bruce Stratton
#1) March 19-22, 3 site prelim, 1 site final Phoenix, AZ * 3.5 day format * details on attachment, below
· Capacity 900 athletes
· Approx 700 athletes indicated as priority 1 on survey
#2) March 25-28, 1 site prelim, 1 site final, Phoenix, AZ (FULL based on survey)
· Capacity 300 athletes
· Approx 300 athletes indicated as priority 1 on survey
#3) April 22-25, 1 site prelim, 1 site final, St George, UT
· Capacity 600 athletes
· Approx 175 athletes indicated as priority 1 on survey
When we distributed the survey, we did not anticipate it would fit the capacity of the meets as closely as it did.
We did not intend responses to be binding to weekend selection, but the numbers so closely matched our facility availability that we kindly request that you honor your response and agree to attend the meet for which you submitted your preferred response.
With the time frames involved in making these meets a reality, we are simply going to move forward with the team’s first selection from the survey results.
This means that the second weekend in Phoenix, March 25-28, is already full.
TEAM ASSIGNMENTS for Meets:
· Teams who completed the survey are listed in the attachment below with the survey information submitted. Teams are only eligible to attend ONE meet in March.
· Teams who completed the survey but did not list a number for athletes (indicated in orange on the spreadsheet) must contact the meet host directly to confirm their number of athletes by Friday, February 5th or their team will be removed from that meet.
· Teams who did NOT complete the survey must contact the meet host directly to add their team and number of athletes by Friday, February 5th. Teams may only be added to Meet Option #1 or #3 – Meet Option #2 is FULL.
Additional Option for Second Meet Attendance in April in Utah:
· Teams who are able to attend a March meet will have the option of cross-registration for meet attendance in April in Utah
· Additional information will be provided by February 10th regarding the registration process and the number of spaces available to both Four Corners and Region 12 teams who were able to attend a meet in Phoenix in March.
Please review the full attachment for complete details and team assignments.
Time Standards PDF
Spring Sectional Overview and Team Assignments PDF