March 31, 2011
USASwimming announces 2011 Diversity Select Camp rosters
USA Swimming has announced the roster for the 2011 Diversity Select Camp. Thirty-six swimmers from across the country have been selected for the camp, which will take place May 5-8 at the Olympic Training Complex in Colorado Springs.
Each spring, USA Swimming invites athletes from under-represented populations to participate in a three-day camp program which includes pool training, motivational and education sessions and team-building activities. Selection is based on times swum at USA Swimming-sanctioned events.
The purpose of the camp is to instill a vision of success and inspire athletes from ethnically under-represented populations to become leaders in the sport. It is USA Swimming’s goal to empower athletes from ethnically under-represented populations and their coaches to:
- Demonstrate the viability of multicultural success in swimming.
- Achieve performance excellence at every level of the sport.
- Expound the benefits and value of participating in the sport of swimming.
- Assist in recruiting more swimmers and coaches from diverse ethnicities to the sport of swimming.
- Be positive leaders and role models that others from multicultural backgrounds can emulate.
This year’s pool of applicants was especially strong and deep, making qualification more competitive than ever. Any questions about the camp should be directed to USA Swimming’s Club Development Division.