July 29, 2011
DCST National Results – Day 5
DCST Women Finish with Highest Placing Ever
The DCST women finished in 14th place at the YMCA National Championships in Atlanta for their highest placed finish in team history. On Friday, the relay team of Emily Launer, Valerie Jones, Sharron Isola and Katie Hallenbeck dropped 2.6 seconds to finish in 13th place. All four swimmers earned National All-American honors. In finals, Emily’s lead off split in the 100 meter Backstroke was a new team record. Valerie also set a team record earlier in the day with her 0.9 second time drop in the 100 meter Breaststroke. Her 18th place finish in this event earned her All-American status, and she finished the meet tied with Emily for the team lead in National All-American honors with six.
On the men’s side, Grant Alef was DCST highest placing finisher on the day with his 6th place finish in the 50 meter Backstroke. With this result, Grant earned National All-American honor for a DCST record 33 times in his career. In the 200 meter Butterfly, DCST had a very productive day. Kei Ishimaru improved by 5.3 seconds to take home a 12th place finish, National All-American status, and a new team record. Furthermore, Daniel Hein (4.6 second time improvement) and Dylan Powers (0.8 second time improvement) both were under the old DCST team record for 13 – 14 year old swimmers. For the meet, the DCST men finished in 21st place, while the team finished in 16th place in combined scoring.
DCST’s other time drops not listed above on the day were: Women’s 200 meter Freestyle Relay team of Emily Launer, Grace Waller, Sharron Isola and Valerie Jones (2.5 seconds), Men’s 200 meter Freestyle Relay team of Daniel Hein, Jack Fergus, Kei Ishimaru and Grant Alef (4.2seconds), Sharron Isola 200 meter Butterfly (2.7 seconds), Caitlynn Moon 200 meter Butterfly (0.8 seconds), Jack Fergus 50 meter Backstroke (2.5 seconds), Daniel Hein 50 meter Backstroke (1.3 seconds), and Ryan Schultz 100 meter Breaststroke (2.3 seconds).
Listed below are some team highlights for the week:
· DCST had 52 career best times out of 65 swims for an 80% improvement rate.
· DCST set 17 new team records.
· DCST had 10 athletes achieve National All-American status in 19 events.
Listed below are some highlights for each swimmer:
· Grant Alef was named National All-American 4 times, set 3 team records, and had 2 personal best times.
· Jack Fergus was named National All-American 1 time and had 4 personal best times.
· Sarah Fergus had 2 personal best times.
· Tara Gidaszewski had 1 personal best time.
· Katie Hallenbeck was named National All-American 1 time and 2 personal best times.
· Daniel Hein set 5 team records and had 7 personal best times.
· Kei Ishimaru was named National All-American 4 times, set 3 team records, and had 3 personal best times.
· Sharron Isola was named National All-American 1 time and had 3 personal best times.
· Valerie Jones was named National All-American 6 times, set 2 team records, and had 4 personal best times.
· Emily Launer was a National Champion in 2 events, was named National All-American 6 times, set 3 team records, and had 4 personal best times.
· Caitlynn Moon was named National All-American 3 times and had 4 personal best times.
· Dylan Powers set 1 team record and had 4 personal best times.
· Ryan Schultz was named National All-American 1 time and had 3 personal best times.
· Grace Waller was named National All-American 1 time and had 3 personal best times.
Friday’s Results for DCST
Women’s 200 meter Medley Relay
Emily Launer, Grace Waller, Sharron Isola, Valerie Jones – 1:55.33 (37th)
Men’s 200 meter Medley Relay
Daniel Hein, Jack Fergus, Kei Ishimaru, Grant Alef – 1:43.23 (33rd)
Women’s 200 meter Butterfly
Sharron Isola – 2:30.45 (40th)
Katie Hallenbeck – 2:30.70 (42nd)
Caitlynn Moon – 2:36.24 (65th)
Men’s 200 meter Butterfly
Prelims – 2:09.99 (12th) – New DCST Team Record
Finals – 2:08.20 (12th) – National All-American, New DCST Team Record
Daniel Hein – 2:20.44 (64th) – New 13 – 14 year old Boys DCST Team Record
Dylan Powers – 2:22.95 (81st) – New 13 – 14 year old Boys DCST Team Record
Women’s 50 meter Backstroke
Tara Gidaszewski – 33.64 (73rd)
Sarah Fergus – 33.98 (86th)
Men’s 50 meter Backstroke
Prelims – 28.05 (5th)
Finals – 28.00 (6th) – National All-American
Jack Fergus – 30.25 (46th)
Daniel Hein – 30.48 (54th)
Women’s 100 meter Breaststroke
Prelims – 1:17.33 (19th) – New DCST Team Record
Finals – 1:17.79 (18th) – National All-American
Men’s 100 meter Breaststroke
Ryan Schultz – 1:12.05 (70th)
Women’s 400 meter Medley Relay
Emily Launer, Valerie, Sharron Isola, Katie Hallenbeck
Prelims – 4:37.27 (16th)
Finals – 4:32.45 (13th)
All 4 swimmers earned National All-American Honors.
Emily Launer set a new DCST Team Record with her backstroke leadoff split of 1:06.69.
Men’s 400 meter Medley Relay
Grant Alef, Ryan Schultz, Kei Ishimaru, Jack Fergus – DQ
Team Scores after Day 5
DCST Women – 14th Place
DCST Men – 21st Place
DCST Combined Scoring – 16th Place