September 28, 2011
Athlete Protection Training – Training and Testing
Online Access Procedures
To complete the training, go to:
- Click on the button/link that says “Take Athlete Protection Training Course”.
- Enter your first name, last name, and birthday. Make sure to use your legal name. Then click the “Locate APT Info” button.
- If you get a “No Results Found” message, one of
three things has happened.
- You typed something incorrectly, so double check your entries, or
- If everything is correct, there may be a typo in your name or birthday in USA Swimming’s database. If you think you are in this category, contact your LSC registrar, or
- You have never been registered (in the last 17 years) with USA Swimming. You must be in the national database. If you think you are in this category, contact your LSC registrar.
- When the system finds you, click the “This is me” link. If there are multiple results displayed, make sure you pick yourself. This is not likely to happen, but it might.
- The system will refresh, bringing back information about you. Check the information displayed, and if it NOT you, click the “This Is Not Me” button, otherwise click the “Athlete Protection Training Course” button.
- You will be taken to a page that displays a warning about not completing the Athlete Protection Training. After reviewing this page click the “Yes, Continue with Athlete Protection Training” button.
- A pop-up window will appear (make sure you allow for pop-up windows for USA Swimming) which takes you to the Praesidium web site. It should pre-populate your name and USA ID number (for members who have not been registered in the last 10 years, your USA ID number may be blank and you will have to provide it to continue), and a user login. The password box will be blank.
- The Employee/Volunteer combo box will default to Employee. Most of you should probably select Volunteer, although it probably doesn’t make any difference what you select.
- There is an optional email address. If you enter an email
address, your username and password along with written instructions
will be emailed to you for your records. It may take up to 24
hours for you to receive this email, however.
- It is recommended that you provide the email address just so you get the backup email with your user name and password with instructions.
- Also, when you have to take the course again in two years, you may need this username and password to enter the system, although at that point there may be new mechanisms for getting that information. But for now, it’s better to be safe.
- To get your password, select your state. The password will then be displayed. Write down your username and password. Then click the “Click Here to Enroll” button.
- You will now be taken to a “Congratulations!”
page. You have a couple of options at this juncture.
- Click on the “begin Armatus Online Training (login required)” link. Go to Step 13.
- Click on the “click here” link or click on the (x) button in the upper right hand corner to close your browser. Go to Step 16.
- You will now be taken to the “Welcome to Armatus” page. Log in using the user name and password you just wrote down and click the Submit button.
- You will be taken to the “Welcome to USA Swimming’s
Athlete Protection Education!” page. There is quite a
bit of information on this page, so take a moment to review
it. About midway down the page you will see a photo with a
link, which will be either “Establishing Healthy Coach
Athlete Boundaries” or “Establishing & Maintaining
Healthy Relationships With Athletes”. Click this link to
start the course.
- The original instructions from USA Swimming have the former link, but when taking the course I (document author) got the latter link.
- There may have been a change since the original instructions were sent out, or the link that is displayed is based on whether you selected employee (i.e. coach) or volunteer at Step 9.
- Regardless, this is the one you need … it’s the same course for everyone!
- The course takes about an hour to complete. You will need to do it before December 31, 2011 in order to keep your membership current.
If training is interrupted:
- Your training may get interrupted because:
- You have to go do something else or you get knocked out
- or, the system asks for a registration code,
- or it tells you your login is invalid
- If it is interrupted don’t go back through on the USA
Swimming site. Use the following steps to get back in
- You will need that username and password
- This should not be a problem if you wrote them down or you provided an email address to have them sent to you.
If you need to log back in, please follow these instructions:
- Clear the cache of temporary Internet files and cookies on your
- In Internet Explorer:
- From the Tools drop down menu select Internet Options
- On the General tab, click the Delete button
- Select “Temporary Internet Files” and “Cookies”, then click Delete button
- In Firefox:
- From the Tools drop down menu, select Clear Recent History
- In the “Time range to clear” combo box, select the time frame that will cover the last time you were on the Praesidium website.
- If there is a down arrow button next to Details, click I to expose the details of what to clear.
- Select “Cookies” and “Cache”, then click “Clear Now”
- In Internet Explorer:
- When the files are cleared, close all open Internet browser windows.
- Open your Internet browser and go to http://Praesidiuminc.com
- You will be on the Praesidium home page. (You will also get a popup window about training, you can close the popup window.)
- Select “Armatus Training NEW!” at the top of the left column
- The page is refreshed. Click the “Click here to begin Armatus Online Training (login required)” link.
- You will be taken to the course login in page. At this point return to Step 13 above.
- When I (document author) was working on these instructions I tried logging in under multiple users and ran into some issues of the system not keeping track of which user was who when navigating from USA Swimming to Praesidium. I don’t know if it was because of something I did or the cached information that the browser retained.
- So to be safe, I recommend that if multiple members are going to use the same computer to complete the training that you clear browsing history (Step 18) between the sessions of the two members taking the course