November 1, 2011
Buenaventura Swim Club
Team Communication 11/01/11
1) Armstrong Trophy Winners. Congratulations to the following swimmers who earned the Armstrong Trophy, for their respective group, based on the swim meet hosted at the Carpentaria Community Pool. Gold Group – Spencer Allen, Silver Group – Kayla Ramirez, Bronze Group – Loraine Corona. These fast swimmers have their trophy at home until it is time to bring them back for the next round of fast swimmers. The next meet for consideration is the David Graham Swim Meet this weekend.
2) 2011 Gobbler Classic Travel Meet. The 2011 Gobbler Classic swim meet has been posted so members can sign up. This swim meet is intended to be a fun travel meet for anyone interested in attending. Turn it into a fun vacation; get to know other Buena members, swim at a low - key meet in a different area than we usually swim in. Go for it, have fun! Buena will be sending coaches, so we hope to have good attendance. Please remember, the entry deadline is a strict deadline. Entries are due Tuesday, November 8that 5:00pm. Of course, the swimmer with the biggest cumulative drop is eligible for the Armstrong Trophy!
3) Ventura County Masters' “Pre-Masters” Classes. The next installment of our Pre-Masters class will begin Monday, November 7th. Class will be offered T/TH mornings 6-7am and M/W evenings 6:30-7:30pm. The cost is $100 for the 10 week class and you must register with United States Masters Swimming at the following link: https://www.clubassistant.com/club/USMS.cfm?l=33. This has been a very popular class and many swimmers have graduated to our regular masters swimming program. Bring a friend and enjoy!
4) Buenaventura Swim Club Thanksgiving Pie Sale. Thanksgiving Pie orders and associated money can be turned in Thursday to Dale Espitia and Friday to Coach Betsy Harrison between the hours of 4:30-6:30pm on the pool deck. Thank you again to Anthony and Dale Espitia for helping to organize this great fundraiser. Remember, you will receive a fundraising credit of $3.21 for every pie sold.
5) Like Us and Follow Us on Facebook. Buenaventura Swim Club and Ventura County Masters has a Facebook page where we will post team communication and information about events, swim meets, athlete performance and various other fun or important team activities. “Like” the page, visit the page frequently, and help make it a successful arena in which swimmers and families can communicate and follow the team at a more personal level.
6) Swim Meet Entry Deadlines. It is imperative that all members understand that the entry deadlines for swim meets are strict deadlines. Even with 118 swimmers entered in our own David Graham Swim Meet, I still received over 12 requests to enter swimmers in the meet, or change events, after the deadline had passed. Preparing the team entry takes a lot of time and it is helpful if parents can sign up their swimmer immediately upon the meet being posted online. Further, by waiting until the designated deadline, we are still at risk as a team of not being allowed to enter the meet if it fills to capacity. The meet sheet clearly states that if the meet fills the team entries will be denied, (last received, and first rejected). It is becoming increasingly important to enter well ahead of time, so always make note of the entry deadline assigned when we post the event, and assure your swimmer and our team can get their entries in on time.