February 9, 2015
Are you 15 or older and looking for a great summer job or a challenging career? American Red Cross Lifeguarding is the best place to start! Lifeguarding puts you in an exciting position, working as part of a team to help people safely enjoy the water. You could save a life too!
Lifeguarding will help you develop skills and experience that will be valued by colleges and future employers. It's a great way to demonstrate what you can offer. Colleges and employers look for applicants who can deal effectively with people, who have a take charge attitude and who are willing to work to develop new skills.
What You Will Learn
American Red Cross training makes learning fun and easy. Through classroom learning and hands-on practice, you'll learn:
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries
- Rescue skills - in the water and on land
- First aid training and professional rescuer CPR - to help you prepare for any emergency
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities like interacting with the public and addressing uncooperative patrons
Course Schedule for Spring 2015 at the Peddie Pool:
Lifeguard Training: includes manual & pocket mask, $275
- LGT Course A - April 26-May 17, Sundays 12-6pm
- LGT Course B - TBA in June, if needed. Email Beth Bright.
Lifeguard Re-certification: 6 hours, must bring own manual & pocket mask, $100.
- LGT Recert A - Mar. 21, 2015, 12:00-6:00 pm
- LGT Recert B - May 16, 2015, 12:00-6:00 pm
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer Re-certification: 2 hours, $50. Bring your own mask or purchase one in class for additional $15.
- CPR/AED Recert Course C- TBA
Waterfront Skills Module: 5 hours, $65. The purpose of the Waterfront Skills module is to teach lifeguards the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to emergencies in nonsurf, open-water areas found at public parks, resorts, summer camps and campgrounds. Fact sheet.
- Waterfront Module - TBA
<--- CLICK ON THE LESSON SIGN-UP BUTTON TO VIEW THE CLASS DATES/TIMES/COST & TO REGISTER USING OUR ON-LINE PORTAL.
Prerequisite Skills for the Lifeguard Training Course:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Questions about these courses should be directed to the Aquatics Director, Beth Bright, email@example.com.