May 3, 2012
Immediate Past President & Honorary Life President:
440 Seabreeze Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316 USA
Link to Invitation & Complete Schedule of ISHOF Events: http://www.ishof.org/pdf/induction12.pdf
Minutes UANA Congress
17 October 2011
Presidente Inter Continental Hotel
- Accreditation of delegates
- Declaration of quorum and opening remarks by the President of UANA
- Reading and Approval of the minutes of the previous congress
- Report by the Executive Committee
- Report by the Secretary – Treasurer
- Report by the Standing Committees and Special Commissions
- Consideration and discussions of proposals previously submitted and included in the summons
- Election of the Executive Committee
- Election of the candidates of the Americas to the FINA Bureau
- Other matters of urgency, with the approval of two-thirds (2/3) of the members present
- Presentations of Visitors
Declaration of quorum and Opening remarks:
President Eldon Godfrey opens the congress at 14:10 hrs. There are 30 of the 39 UANA members present and there is quorum to begin the UANA General assembly. Complete attendance list is attached. The president requests 1 minute of silence for all the UANA family members that passed away.
The president introduces the guests at the head table to the general assembly:
- Mr. Julio Maglione – FINA president
- Mustpha Larfaoui – FINA Life President / President African Swimming Federation
- Dennis Miller – President Oceania
- Coarazy Nunes – FINA Board Member
- Orban Mendoza - Past UANA and CCCAN president
- Dale Neuburger – FINA Vice President
- Ivar Sisniega, Chairman Organizing Committee Guadalajara 2011
- Dr. Margo Mountjoy – FINA Board Member and delegate of the Aquatic Federation of Canada
The following UANA Board members beside the president are present:
- Guno van der Jagt, Secretary / Treasurer
- Errol Clarke, Vice president
- Luis Leiva Perez
- Judy McGowan
- Bill Shaw
- Mr. Ivar Sisniega addresses the general assembly and welcomes them to Guadalajara for the Pan American Games. He gives a summary of the aquatics sports in the Pan American Games. He indicates that the number of water polo teams were increased from 8 to 6, the number of divers was increased from 50 to 60 and open water was added to the program. The swimming time qualification was very technical and used 3 qualification standards, A, B, and C. After the final registration, the quota was exceeded by 50 and the FINA president intervened. In the end, all swimmers who made the A-standard were accepted. Swimmers who made the B-standard were left out based on the FINA standards. The quota was exceeded by 22.
- The UANA president indicated for future games more room needs to be created to make adjustments to the quotas. The technical commissions need to review the qualification procedures. Thought to be given to the reduction of athletes if the quotas are exceeded. The president expressed his confidence in the technical commissions. The venues are of world class standard.
- The Bahamas swimming Federation requested an intervention and they indicated that relay only swimmers were allowed to participate but the NOC’s didn’t receive any communication.
Reading and Approval of the minutes of the previous UANA Congress
(Rio de Janeiro, 2007):
The minutes were read and accepted by the general assembly.
Report by the Executive Committee:
The UANA president indicated that UANA reached out to other Continental. The Executive Committee tried to meet at least once every 2 years. Meetings were held in 2009, 2010 and 2011 with the assistance of the USA and Canadian Swimming federations. The Executive Committee report is accepted by the General Assembly.
Report by the Secretary – Treasurer:
It is reported that contributions were set by partnerships. The dues amounted to approximately US$ 5000 annually and contributions from FINA and ODEPA / PASO were also received. Expenditures were primarily due to meetings and receptions. The reports by the Secretary – Treasurer are accepted by the General assembly.
Report by the Standing Committees and Special Committees:
The federations are requested to contribute to all the disciplines. Each discipline has particular issues. The complete reports are available on the UANA website.
Masters Technical Committee (Chair: Mel Goldstein):
The UANA Pan American Masters Championships 2011 will be organized in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and this will be the first time that all disciplines will be contested.
Swimming Technical Committee (Chair: Bill McFarlane):
The chair indicates that there is lack of data which makes it difficult to set the qualification standards for the Pan American Games. The data from the previous games is used and might be outdated. The 3 larger countries take more than 150 places of the 256 available spots , leaving about 100 places for the remaining countries. The maximum numbers of swimmers per country should be reviewed. The new technical committee should also review the possibility that swimmers are allowed to participate in other events than the ones they qualified in. More time should also be allowed between final entries and the start of the games. Ninety days would be commendable.
Diving Technical Committee ( Chair: Kathy Seaman):
The report presented by Steve McFarland.
Synchronized Swimming Technical Committee (Chair: Judy McGowan):
Most synchronized swimming activities were focused on junior level. The idea was that strong junior athletes would result in a good senior level. A presentation was given by the members of the technical committee.
Waterpolo Technical Committee (chair: Bill Shaw):
Waterpolo had a very active quadrennium. Support is needed from the federations and FINA to develop the junior level. The Pan American games will feature 8 teams.
Open Water Technical Committee (Chair: Tomas Haces):
There will be no 3 rd and 4 th UANA championships. More participants from zones 3 & 4 (USA / Canada) should be encouraged and this would improve the quality. Some countries are participating with junior swimmers. The 5 / 10 km are incorporated in the championships. More clinics should be conducted.
Considerations and discussions of proposals submitted and included in the Summons:
Bill Shaw presented the proposals of changes to the UANA constitution. The term “Western Hemisphere” is replaced thru out the constitution with “Americas”. The changes are accepted by the General assembly.
The proposed change to article 7 is also accepted by the General Assembly.
Election of UANA Executive Committee:
The following persons were elected to the UANA Executive Board:
Coaracy Nunes Filho (BRA)
Luis Leiva Perez (CHI)
Errol Clarke (BAR)
Ismael Gonzalez (GUA)
Fernando Canales (USA)
Steve McFarland (USA)
Brian Johnson (CAN)
William Shaw (CAN)
In accordance with the rotation schedule in the constitution the following members of the Executive Committee were elected Officers of the Executive Committee:
UANA President: Coaracy Nunes Filho (Zone 1)
UANA Secretary/Treasurer: Fernando Canales (Zone 3)
Vice President: William Shaw (Zone 4)
Vice President: Errol Clarke (Zone 2)
Election of the Candidates of the Americas to the FINA Bureau (2013 – 2017):
Dr. Julio C. Maglione - URU
Coaracy Nunes Filho - BRA
Errol Clarke - BAR
Eugenio Martinez - CUB
Dale Neuburger - USA
Dr. Margo Mountjoy – CAN
The candidacy of Dr. Julio Maglione as President of FINA and Mr. Dale Neuburger as Vice President of FINA is unanimously supported by the General Assembly.
Other matters of urgency, with the approval of two-thirds (2/3) of the members present:
St Kitts and Nevis and British Virgin Islands were given provisional UANA membership by the Executive Board. The General Assembly approved their UANA memberships.
The UANA General Assembly also approved the appointment of a Constitution Review Committee to be chaired by UANA Vice President Bill Shaw. The UANA Executive board was given authority to accept “cosmetic non substantive changes” recommended by the committee and to receive proposals for “substantive matters” for consideration at future UANA General Assemblies.
The UANA General Assembly also approved the appointment of the following UANA Honorary Life presidents:
- Manuel de Jesus (PUR)
- Orban Mendoza (PUR)
- Carol Zaleski (USA)
- Eldon Godfrey (CAN)
- Ivar Sisniega – Director of Sport & Operations of XVI Pan American games in Guadalajara 2011 – made a presentation
- The Toronto 2015 Pan American Games Organizing Committee made a presentation on the progress of their preparations.
- Mr. Cornel Marculescu – FINA Director – made a presentation on the swimming qualification rules for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The UANA president, Eldon Godfrey, thanked the General Assembly for approving the Life Honorary President appointments on behalf of all the involved persons and indicated that it was an honor.
The UANA president elect, Coaracy Nunes Filho, made some remarks to the members. UANA President, Eldon Godfrey adjourned the General Assembly at 18:10 hrs.
Guno van der Jagt
UANA Secretary – Treasurer (2007 – 2011) email@example.com
If you notice any corrections or wish to make any suggestions or
revisions, please contact BOTH Guno ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) and UANA
Honorary Life President Eldon Godfrey ( email@example.com )
at your earliest possible convenience.
UANA NATIONAL FEDERATIONS CONTACT INFORMATION FORM - We are committed to staying up to date with the contact information for each National Federation affiliated to UANA. We are in the process of contacting each National Federation to request that they provide current contact information. National Federation Officers are asked to click on the following link and submit current contact information about their Federations leadership team at any time. http://uana.wufoo.com/forms/uana-national-federation-contact-list/
ROSTER OF UANA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE & TECHNICAL COMMITTEES -- The current roster of the UANA Executive Committee & their Technical Committees is posted at this link: https://www.teamunify.com/NewsShow.jsp?returnPage=/News.jsp&id=170147&team=uana
OF UANA TECHNICAL COMMITTEES - Contact information
for two new members:
UANA Technical Water Polo Committee - Maximiliano Aguilar, (MEX) firstname.lastname@example.org
UANA Technical Diving Committee - Ricardo Bañuelos, (MEX): email@example.com
UANA WEBSITE IS UPDATED DAILY -- A great deal of NEWS and new information is posted daily to the new UANA website at this link: https://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?_tabid_=0&team=uana
UNION AMERICANA DE NATACION
69 Old Clinton Road
Flemington, New Jersey 08822