Training Camp 2010 Blog

Coach Lemieux's swimmers are in Orlando , Florida for the next eleven days for their annual training trip.  I thought you might all like to have periodic updates on what is going on so here is my first blog.  I brought a camera but my computer doesn't have a space for the SD card so I am working through how I am going to transfer pictures, but I promise I will get some out in future e-mails.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

We arrived at the Boston Airport at 5:00 a.m. in our blue shirts ready for travel.  The swimmers were excited and a little nervous about the adventure that lay ahead.  Eleven days of training in a 50 meter pool three times a day. 

We made our way through check-in and security and then quickly grabbed a bite to eat before boarding the jetBlue flight to Orlando .  Some of our swimmers were a little anxious about the flight including Ivy Durepo who was taking her first airplane trip ever.  Thankfully, it was a smooth flight and they all had the distraction of fellow team mates and individual televisions to help put their minds at ease.

Making our way off the plane in Orlando we were greeted by the familiar hot, humid air that we had just left behind in Boston .  The only indication that we were actually in Florida were the palm trees we could see outside the windows at the airport.

After picking up our luggage and finding our ground transportation, we were on the way to the hotel.  We checked into the Courtyard Marriott Downtown Orlando and promptly went to find lunch.   It seems that swimmers have an endless appetite! 

We found a cute little sandwich place where the swimmers filled up on sub sandwiches and mentally prepared for their first practice.  Afterwards, we walked the six blocks to the pool and entered the place where the swimmers would spend their days training their bodies and minds to be tougher and push harder in the pool.  The Preparatory School where we are practicing has an eight lane outdoor pool that is kept at a constant 81 degrees.  Now that is something the Greenwood swimmers are definitely not used to!

The swimmers had two practices on Tuesday.  One at 12:40 - 2:20 p.m. and the evening practice from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.   We ate pasta, salad and lots and lots of bread for dinner.  After a short team meeting, we gladly retired to our rooms for the evening.

All up and down the hall last night, you could see swimmers making their way toward the ice machine in order to ice their shoulders (a requirement after each practice) and any other body parts that might have been hurting.  Then it was lights out by 10:00 p.m. as we all had to meet down in the lobby by 5:40 a.m. for the next day’s practice.   Good night!