July 30, 2012
Dear VJO Swimmers and Parents,
Swim –a- thon
We have raised $6,000 -- keep those donation coming! Checks and Cash are due August 2nd, but your family, friends, and supporters can still donate via the website over the break. Swimmers please continue asking, calling, emailing, and writing for pledges / donations. Online donations www.vallejoaquatics.org are already counted. If you are collecting on paper fill out the form (neon yellow paper that was in your file) put your name & amount collected and return to the Henderson File. See the progress board hanging on deck. THANK YOU for all your efforts for our biggest fundraiser! For more info please visit http://www.scribd.com/doc/98831913/swimathon.
BreakOut! Swim Clinic – Sept 29th
Dana Vollmer won GOLD in the 100 fly, and she's coming to our pool! Sign up for the September 29th Swim Clinic to make sure you have a spot at the clinic. This clinic will fill so get your registration form turned in as soon as possible. Forms can be found at the pool or on our team website under the events tab labeled “ Breakout! Swim Clinic”. Turn in your completed reg form to Melanie Keilholtz file folder.
Team Break (Aug 6-19th)
There will be no swim practice for two weeks, from Aug 6-19th. During this time we encourage swimmers to take a break from swimming and have some fun.
We believe this break is important to the swimmer for both physiological and psychological reasons. The Long Course summer schedule is taxing on swimmers, coaches, and parents and after a successful Championship Season it is important to facilitate recovery and allow swimmers and families to have a short time where they can vacation, prepare for the return to school, and rest the body to allow for optimal growth.
We are not saying swimmers should remain inactive during this time, but that they should engage in non-swimming related exercise during this time. Daily exercise is recommended and encouraged. Preferably non water related activity so that they miss the pool and their friends and come back with a renewed energy and spirit.
This break also allows the VJO coaching staff time to prepare season and athlete plans for the following year.
LOCATION: Quinn Swim Center, Santa Rosa Junior College, 1501 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA
TIME:Meet begins at 5:00pm Friday with warm-ups from 3:30pm to 4:45pm. Saturday and Sunday sessions begin at 9:00am with warm-ups from 7:30am to 8:45am. Finals will begin no earlier than 1 hour after the end of trials, and finals start time will be announced near the end of each trials session.
ENTRYS & FEES:Swimmers may compete in up to 3 individual events per dayon Saturday and Sunday. Swimmersmay compete in either the 400 IM or 500 Free on Friday, but not both. Participation in relays does not count against the three-event per day limit.$2.75 per event, $8.00 participation fee per swimmer, and $9.00 per relay entry.Entries and check must be submitted to coach Tuffy's file folder by 7:30pm on Wednesday July 25th.
Hotel Rooms - There are still rooms available! VJO has 20 non-smoking rooms, reserved with two queen beds for the nights of 8/3 and 8/4/12. Let them know you are with Vallejo Aquatic Club.
- Hotel:Days Inn
- 3345 Santa Rosa Ave. Santa Rosa, CA 95407
- Reservations: (707) 568-1011
- Questions:Please contact: Tuffy (707) 567-7161 cell or (707) 642-3008 home
Save the Date:
- Aug 1 - All Team Practice (5:00-7:00pm)
- Aug 2 - All Team Practice (5:00-7:00pm)
- Aug 3-5 - REAL Championships
- Aug 1-5 - Far Western Championships
- Aug 6-11 - Western Zones (Grand Junction, CO)
- Aug 6-19 - Team Break
- Aug 23 - Prize Party for Swim-a-thon
- Sept 3 - Labor Day (No Practice)
- Sept 21-23 - Neptune Swimming C/B/A Meet
- Sept 27 - Shark Pride Day (All Groups 5-7pm)
- Sept 29th - Breakout Swim Clinic
- Oct 6-7 - Marin Pirates Meet (Senior II Meet)
- Oct 19-20 - Zone 3 Championships (Cunningham Pool)
- Oct 28 - Halloween Party
- Oct 31 - Special Halloween Practice
- Nov 2-4 - VJO Meet
- Nov 30- Dec 2 - Junior Olympic Championships (14 & under)
- Dec 7-9 - Short Course Championships (Sr II Trials & Finals @ Walnut Creek)
- Dec 7-9 - Neptune Swimming C/B/A Meet