May 20, 2013
Dear VJO Swimmers and Parents,
General Membership Meeting Re-cap
Thank you to all parents who attended our General Membership Meeting last week on Tuesday May 25th. We enjoyed seeing so many new and familiar faces and hope the meeting was informative. We are proud to announce our new Committee Heads; Cyndee Bogard is our new Swim-A-Thon Committee Head, and she is already off and rolling getting it organized, and Dwight Everett will be our new Hot Chocolate Night Committee Head this next winter. We had many more parents step forward last week for numerous other volunteer positions. Thank you everyone for your active involvement in our team, we couldn’t keep this team going without you!
What if you missed the General Membership Meeting?
If you missed the General Membership Meeting this season for some reason, we have posted the key information on our team web site. Go to www.vallejoaquatics.org , click on the heading “Documents”, then click on “General Membership Meeting Info”
Piranha Meet Re-cap
We only had 13 VJO swimmers attend the Piranha Meet last weekend, but the weather was good, the meet ran well and our swimmers swam fast. We had 11 new B times achieved, 8 new A times achieved, and 2 new JO times achieved. Great job swimmers! Congratulations to Abigail Argueta (10) for achieving 2 new JO times last weekend. Abigail achieved a new JO time in the 9-10 100 breast with a 1:28.36 and a new JO time in the 9-10 200 Free with a 2:33.36. She will now be attending JO’s in the summer in a total of 6 events.
Saturday Morning Long Course Practice – May 25th
This Saturday May 25th we will be having a special Memorial Day Weekend Long Course Practice for all groups.
· Seniors & Age Group – 7:00-9:00am
· All other Groups – 7:30-9:00am
No Practice – Monday May 27th
There will be no swim practice next Monday May 27th. We hope everyone has a happy and safe Memorial Day.
Shark Pride Day
Next Thursday May 30th is Shark Pride Day! All groups will be swimming together from 5:00-7:00pm. The last Thursday of every month is Shark Pride Day. On this day, all VJO swimmers are encouraged to wear their team shirts to school and around town. Show off your Shark spirit! We want to encourage team unity by having the entire swim team practice together from 5-7pm. The team will warm-up together, work on skills together, and play games/ relays together. This will be a team building day with a great opportunity to get to know swimmers in other groups.
Swim - A - Thon
DATE: June 25th, 2013
TIME: 5 - 7 PM
SWIMMERS: Are you ready? Pledge forms have been placed in your folders. Encourage your friends/family/neighbors to support you! Get them to pledge a per lap $ amount or total $ amount! This is a VJO fundraiser - we need your pledges to make this event a success! Minimum FAMILY GOAL: $200.00 we CAN do this! Let’s watch our barometer grow & WIN PRIZES!
ON SWIM DAY:Bring lots of energy, kick-boards, fins and goggles! Wear your favorite bright cap and suit. Sign in at the ‘sign in’ table and get your label. Take the label to the lane you will swim in and give it to your lap counter. Swim as many laps as you can! Then enjoy the potluck!
PARENTS: Thank you for all your support for this event. We will need your help to make this work!
Every family MUST pitch in. Please sign up on one (or more) of our sign-up sheets! This will count toward your mandatory volunteer hours!
Some areas to help:
1. Canopies need to be set up & torn down.
2. We will also need loving families to count our swimmers’ laps, on the day of event.
3. Potluck - sign up today.
4. Check our sign-up sheets and join the fun!
Questions? Call Cyndee Bogard @ 510-407-5282 or email: [email protected]
Napa Valley Long Course Meet -June 15-16
***The Napa Valley Long Course Meet is CLOSED.***
Meet Info: http://ome.swimconnection.com/pc/nvst20130615.
Summer Sanders Long Course JR+ Meet (June 14-16, Roseville, CA)
The Summer Sanders Meet is now open online for entries. This will be a travel meet for the Senior Group with qualifying time standards. Qualifying time standards are between a Sr I and Sr II (see meet sheet for exact qualifying times). This meet is Trials and Finals. This meet will fill very quickly so enter ASAP.
Enter online at:http://ome.swimconnection.com/meets
Warm –ups: 7:00-8:15 am (Fri, Sat, & Sun)
Meet Begins: 8:30 am
Finals Warm-Up: 4:30pm
Finals Begin: 5:30pm
Hotel Info:Go to Priceline.com for $65/night 3 Stare Hotel (Hyatt Place). Go to Express Deals.
Westside Aquaducks Long Course C/B/A Meet
The Westside Aquaducks Long Course C/B/A Meet is now open online for entries. This will be the third and final long course meet of the season. It will also be the last meet to qualify for JO’s. All VJO swimmers are encouraged to attend this meet.
Enter online at:http://ome.swimconnection.com/pc/WA20130628
Entry Deadline:11:59pm Wednesday June 19h 2013.
Ukiah Dolphins C/B/A Meet - July 26-28
The Ukiah Dolphins Short Course C/B/A Meet is now open online for entries. This will be our team meet for the month of July. All VJO swimmers are encouraged to attend this meet... it will be a fun one!
Camping: The team will also be camping at either the high school or at Lake Mendocino. We are working on getting a group camp site at Lake Mendocino. So get your sleeping bags and marshmallows ready! We will also be setting up some other fun activities for the kids after the meet.
Enter online at:http://ome.swimconnection.com/pc/UD20130726
Entry Deadline:11:59pm Wednesday July 17th 2013.
Save the Date:
· May 25 - Saturday Long Course Practice (7:00-9:00am)
· May 27 - No Practice (Happy Memorial Day!)
· May 30 - Shark Pride Day (All Groups 5-7pm)
· June 1 - Saturday Long Course Practice (7:00-9:00am)
· June 8 - Saturday Long Course Practice (7:00-9:00am)
· June 10-14 - Senior Group Practice 5:30-7:00pm
· June 15-16 - Napa Long Course Meet (Napa Valley College, CA)
· June 14-16 - Summer Sanders Long Course JR+ Meet (Roseville, CA)
· June 22 - Annual Pool Party and Alumni Reunion 12-4pm
· June 25 - Swim –A- Thon
· June 27 - Shark Pride Day (All Groups 5-7pm)
· June 28-30 - Westside Aquaducks Long Course Meet (Petaluma, CA)
· July 4 - 4th of July Parade (No Swim Practice)
· July 5 - No Afternoon Practice (only 7-9am morning practice)
· July 12-14 - Junior Olympic Championships (Concord, CA)
· July 17-21 - Summer Sectional Championships (Santa Clarita, CA)
· July 25 - Team Picture Day (4-6pm)
· July 25 - Shark Pride Day 6-7pm (After Team Picture)
· July 27-28 - Ukiah Dolphins Meet (Ukiah, CA)
· July 31-Aug 4– Long Course Far Western Championships (San Jose, CA)
· Aug 7-10 - Western Zones (Roseville, CA)
· Aug 9-11 - Zone 3 Championships (Dual Venue Napa/Vallejo)
· Aug 12-25 - Team Break (No Practice - 2 weeks)
· Aug 26 - First Day of Fall Practice
· Aug 29 - Shark Pride Day (All Groups 5-7pm)
· Sept 2 - No Practice (Labor Day)
· Sept 14 - 2013 VJO Awards Banquet
· Sept 26 - Shark Pride Day (All Groups 5-7pm)
· Sept 27-29 - VJO Short Course C/B/A Meet
· Sept 30 - No Practice (Meet Recovery Day)