June 12, 2013
Please have your swimmers at the pool by 4:30 ready to swim for home meets - 5:00 for away meets.
Parents need to arrive by 5:15 to check-in for their assigned volunteer duties. Check in with Sara Verwers or Kris Roberts.
Home meets - Set up your chairs or blankets in the grass outside the fence on the south side of the pool. Generally, swimmers sit on chairs or blankets out there and parents can set up chairs on the pool deck. Please keep the area behind the blocks clear and the south deck of the pool to the lifeguard stand from the blocks end. This is where the officials and coaches are stationed.
Bring swimmer’s gear: suit, caps, goggles, towels, warm-ups, Sharpie pen for writing events/heats on swimmer’s hand, etc.
Bring parent’s gear: sunscreen, chairs, drinks, snacks, etc.
Our concession stand will be open throughout the meet for snacks, drinks and dinner!
After the meet, if your last name starts with A – G, please plan on staying to the end to help with cleanup!
Cleanup duty at other meets:
6/13 - A - G·
6/27 – H –O
· 7/11 – P – Z
Our post-meet gathering (home) is at McDonalds on N.Oak and 96th Street. This is an optional gathering with families on their own to purchase food and drinks. (Don’t forget we have pictures at 8:00 AM Friday!)
Other info you may need to know, especially if you are new:
Parking at Willow Farms (HOME MEETS) -- At home meets, parking near the pool is very limited. To ease parking issues please reduce the number of cars being driven to the meet by carpooling when possible.
Meet Time Schedule
4:00pm – Setup crew arrives for home meet
4:30pm – Team arrives for HOME meet
5:00pm – Team arrives for AWAY meet
6:00pm – Meet begins
Order of Events:
#1 Medley Relay 8 & under Boys
#2 Medley Relay 8 & under Girls
#3 Medley Relay 9-10 Boys
#4 Medley Relay 9-10 Girls
#5 Medley Relay 11-12 Boys
#6 Medley Relay 11-12 Girls
#7 Medley Relay 13-14 Boys
#8 Medley Relay 13-14 Girls
#9 Medley Relay 15-18 Boys
#10 Medley Relay 15-18 Girls
#41-48 Individual Medley (I.M.)
#59-68 Freestyle Relay
The order is the same for each stroke; boys compete first and then girls compete in each age group.
Plan on the meet lasting 4 to 4 1/2 hours, including clean up time.
Other Meet Logistics
Swimmers need to arrive for home meets by 4:30pm, and parents need to arrive by 5:15 to check-in for their assigned volunteer duties. Check in with Sara Verwers or Kris Roberts.
Meet Cancelation: Regardless of weather conditions, we MUST be at a meet to avoid a forfeit. In case of inclement weather, Conference Reps and Coaches will confer on possible cancelation and rescheduling of the meet. Announcements will be made regarding cancelation and rescheduling over the PA system at the meet.
Please advise the coaches as soon as you know if you are unable to swim in a meet. The meet line-up takes hours for the coaches to prepare and must be submitted early on the day of the meet. Please be considerate of the coach’s efforts. Email email@example.com if you need to contact them.
- The Coach will inform swimmers of the events in which they are swimming on or before the day of a meet.
- Directions to away meets may be found on our web site under Events.
- Pack swimmer’s gear: suit, caps, goggles, towels, warm-ups, Sharpie pen for writing events/heats on swimmer’s hand, etc.
- Pack parent’s gear: sunscreen, chairs, drinks, snacks, etc.
Arriving at the Meet:
- Get to the pool on time – 4:30
- Check-in with the Coaches to let them know you are there.
- For $1 you may purchase a Heat Sheet that lists the names of swimmers and the event in which they’re entered for the meet, conference qualifying times, and the fastest time for your child to-date.
- Parents check-in with Volunteer Coordinator by 5:15
- After warm-ups, write your swimmers events on their arm to help them remember what they are swimming and tell them to listen for the announcements to report to the Clerk of the Course.
During the Meet:
- Parents, especially for younger swimmers, can help getting their swimmer to the Clerk of the Course on time to avoid missing their event. Clerk of the course is located at the northeast corner of the pool. Listen for the announcement for your swimmers’ event to report to the clerk.
- After swimming an event, swimmers, be sure to ask Timers for their “unofficial” time.
- Swimmers should be notified if they have been disqualified or “DQ'ed” in an event.
- Swimmers are encouraged to check with the coaches after they swim an event to receive helpful tips and pointers, but may not sit at the coaches table.
- Concessions, including bottled water, soda, and snacks will be available for purchase at all pools, both home and away. However, you are welcome to bring your own. Alcohol is not permitted at any Northland Swim Conference meet.
After the Meet:
- Pick up team and pool area.
Cleanup duty is by Last Name:
o 6/13 – A - G
o 6/27 – H –O
o 7/11 – P – Z
- Volunteers will be asked to help put away equipment.
- We must leave the pool as we found it for use the next day.
POST-MEET GATHERINGS: After meets and Conference Finals night, the team will meet for food and drinks. It is a great chance to finish out the night and to get to know other people on the team! More details to be announced prior to each meet.