July 1, 2013
Dear VJO Swimmers and Parents,
Thank you to everyone who joined us for our Duck-A-Thon Swim-A-Thon last Thursday. We ended up having a great turnout with absolutely no rain. Thank you also to everyone that helped organize and run the event. A special thank you to Cyndee Bogard for making the event happen! Remember swimmers you have until July 25th to keep raising money… our goal is to raise $15,000. As of today we have raised $6,036.
Shark Pride Day Dual Meet Re-cap
We had a HUGE turnout at our Shark Pride Day Dual Meet last Thursday June 27th. We had 94 VJO swimmers participate in our Dual Meet. The coaches were all very excited to see such great participation and there were some outstanding swims as well. We again apologize for not having enough time to swim the butterfly events. The results will be posted online and emailed out in the next couple of days.
Westside Meet Re-cap
Unfortunately we did not have as big of a turn out as we would have liked at our last Long Course Meet of the season. On the plus side we got to enjoy some hot weather and fast swimming. Results have not yet been posted, but will be online and emailed out in the next couple of days.
4th of July Parade
Swimmers and parents please come join us and help celebrate Independence Day and showcase our team spirit at the 160th Annual Vallejo 4th of July Parade. Parents and family members are asked to join us in the walk too. Wear your turquoise shark shirt, if you do not have one or need another one, please see Diane Powell or Pam Henderson on deck to buy your t-shirt (T-Shirt:$10).
- Meeting Time: 9:00am
- Meeting Place: AlabamaSt. off Broadway St. Please look for our turquoise shirts and team banner along Alabama St. We are entry #27.
- Parade Route: Starts on Tennessee St. at Broadway at 10:00 a.m., travels west to Sonoma Blvd., then south along Sonoma Blvd. to Georgia St., then west again to end at Georgia St. and Santa Clara St.
- Check your file folders soon for Parade flyer with details.
NO AFTERNOON PRACTICE on July 4th & 5th.
There will be no afternoon practice for any groups on Thursday July 4th and Friday 5th. We will instead hold a special July 5th morning practice for all groups (Seniors & Age Group 7-9am, Tuffy, Sam & Hilary’s Group 7:30-9:00am).
· Thursday July 4th – No Practice
· Friday July 5th – Morning Practice only
o Seniors & Age Group 7-9am
o Tuffy, Sam, & Hilary’s Group 7:30-9:00am
Swim-A-Thon Make-up Day – July 9th
Next Tuesday July 9th we will be holding our Swim-A-Thon Make up Day from 3:30-5:30. Make sure you bring a parent or person to count for you. Clip boards and counting sheets will be provided. Swim-A-Thon Questions? Call Cyndee Bogard @ 510-407-5282 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Day for Swim-A-Thon Donations– July 25th
We will be collecting Swim-A-Thon donations all the way up to July 25th. Make sure you have your envelopes clearly marked with swimmers FIRST/LAST name. Also include a PHONE NUMBER in case we have questions. All donations are due by: JULY 25th. Swim-A-Thon Questions? Call Cyndee Bogard @ 510-407-5282 or email: email@example.com
Ukiah Dolphins C/B/A Meet (July 26-28)
Ukiah Meet still open for entries! Sign up ASAP if you are planning to attend. This will be our team meet for the month of July. All VJO swimmers are encouraged to attend this meet... it will be a fun one! Enter online at: http://ome.swimconnection.com/pc/UD20130726
Camping: Get your sleeping bags and marshmallows ready! We will be camping at Bushay Recreation Area Campgrounds at Lake Mendocino. The price is $25 per night with a maximum of 8 people plus 2 vehicle per campsite. Total of $50 per campsite for 2 nights stay (Friday July 26th & Saturday July 27th).Campsites could accommodate 2 families. If we have 2 families per campsite we can split the accommodations to $12.50 per family per night.
How to Reserve your Campsite: Any VJO families interested in camping during the Ukiah Swim Meet please contact Marylou Miguel at firstname.lastname@example.org or by text only (707) 373- 8771. VJO families are currently staying in the following campsites: B69, B70, B71, B72, B73, B77, B78, B81, B82
Interested in Making Your Own Reservations: Families interested in making their own reservation either call 1-877 444-6777 or go to the website http://www.recreation.gov/, then choose Bushay Recreation Area Campground. Our families would like to stay close together. Please try to reserve the other campsites near by B83, B51, B53, B55, B79, and B80. These campsites are closer to the grassy play area and lake access.
2013 Junior Olympic Championships (July 12-14)
Swimmers must have achieved the JO time standard to enter this meet. The 2013 Summer Junior Olympic Championships on July 12-14 is opened online for entries. Online Meet Entries: The Deadline is 11:59 pm, Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013. Enter online @ Swim Connection: http://ome.swimconnection.com/pc/tera20130712.
- Swimmers may compete in up to three (3) events per day and a maximum of seven (7) individual events, plus relays for the entire meet.
- TIME: Meet begins at 9:00 AM each day. Warm-ups from 7:00 to 8:45 a.m. Finals will begin no sooner than 1 hour after the conclusion of trials. The exact time will be determined by the meet referee and announced as early as practical each day.
- BONUS EVENTS:
- Swimmers with 1 qualifying time 2 bonus events allowed
- Swimmers with 2 qualifying times 1 bonus event allowed
- Swimmers with 3+ qualifying times No bonus events allowed
- Enter all Bonus events with your best LC time / No Bonus entries allowed for the 800/1500 Freestyle
2013 Far Western Championships (July 31 - Aug 4)
Swimmers must have achieved the Far Western time standard to enter this meet. The 2013 LC Summer Far Western Championships on August 1-5 will be held at the Frank Fiscalini International Swim Center at Independence High School, 627 North Jackson Avenue, San Jose, CA 95133. The meet is opened online for entries. Online Meet Entries: http://ome.swimconnection.com/pc/west20130731 . The deadline is Wednesday, July 24, 2013 .
Save the Date:
· July 4 - 4th of July Parade (No Swim Practice)
· July 5 - No Afternoon Practice (only 7-9am morning practice)
· July 12-14 - Junior Olympic Championships (Concord, CA)
· July 17-21 - Summer Sectional Championships (Santa Clarita, CA)
· July 25 - Team Picture Day (4-6pm)
· July 25 - Shark Pride Day 6-7pm (After Team Picture)
· July 25 - Deadline for Swim-A-Thon Donations
· July 26-28 - Ukiah Dolphins Meet (Ukiah, CA)
· July 31-Aug 4– Long Course Far Western Championships (San Jose, CA)
· Aug 7-10 - Western Zones (Roseville, CA)
· Aug 9-11 - Zone 3 Championships (Vallejo, CA)
· Aug 12-25 - Team Break (No Practice - 2 weeks)
· Aug 26 - First Day of Fall Practice
· Aug 29 - Shark Pride Day (All Groups 5-7pm)
· Sept 2 - No Practice (Labor Day)
· Sept 14 - 2013 VJO Awards Banquet
· Sept 26 - Shark Pride Day (All Groups 5-7pm)
· Sept 27-29 - VJO Short Course C/B/A Meet
· Sept 30 - No Practice (Meet Recovery Day)