April 4, 2014
Moon and Hein Finish 4 for 4 at National Championships
On the last day of the YMCA National Championships, Caitlynn Moon and Daniel Hein remained perfect for the week by earning National All-American honors for the fourth time in their fourth individual swims. Caitlynn took home 4th place in the 1650 yard Freestyle with an awesome 13 second time drop and new DCST team record. Daniel earned a 12th in the 200 yard Butterfly in finals after moving up two spots from his preliminary finish. In their careers, Caitlynn has now been named a National All-American 21 times which is good for 3rd on the DCST’s all time list, while Daniel has achieved this honor 16 times with is good for a tie for 5th on the same list.
DCST’s Male 400 yard Freestyle Relay of Hein, Dylan Powers, Jacob Bjork and Jack Fergus broke the DCST Team Record by an impressive 2.5 seconds. Hein’s lead off 100 yard Freestyle split of 46.99 was also good for a new team record. In the 200 yard Butterfly, Fergus and Powers went new personal best times by 1.0 seconds and 3.1 seconds respectively.
Time trials were a busy and successful day for DCST. Sarah Fergus’s time in the 200 yard Butterfly was her best time by an outstanding 3.8 seconds, and it was under the current YMCA National Qualifying Time. Jensen Keck’s 1.6 second improvement in the 200 yard IM was also under the current YMCA National Qualifying Time. Also in the 200 yard IM, Sarah Hein went a personal best by 0.7 seconds, and Ryan Schultz went a personal best by 0.5 seconds. By lowering his time 0.2 seconds, Jacob Bjork went a lifetime best in his 100 yard Freestyle.
Some statistics form DCST’s week in Greensboro:
- 5 swimmers earn National All-American honors a total of 13 times
- Out of DCST’s 54 swims in the meet, 35 were best times for a 65% improvement rate
- DCST set 25 new team records
Listed below are some statistics each of DCST’s swimmers entered in the meet.
- Jacob Bjork had 2 personal best times and set 3 team records.
- Jack Fergus had 4 personal best times, set 5 team records and was named a National All-American 2 times.
- Sarah Fergus had 4 personal best times and set 2 team records.
- Daniel Hein had 5 personal best times, set 9 team records and was named a National All-American 5 times.
- Sarah Hein had 3 personal best times.
- Jensen Keck had 3 personal best times and set 3 team records
- Caitlynn Moon had 4 personal best times, set 5 team records and was named a National All-American 4 times.
- Kylie Olson had 2 personal best times.
- Dylan Powers had 1 personal best time, set 4 team records and was named a National All-American 1 time.
- Ryan Schultz had 3 personal best times, set 3 team records and was named a National All-American 1 time.
- Ashley Stark set 1 team record.
- Athena Ye had 3 personal best times and set 5 team records.
Day 4 (April 4) – DCST National Results
Men’s 200 yard Butterfly
Prelims – 1:52.01 (14th)
Finals – 1:51.94 (12th) – National All-American
Jack Fergus –
Dylan Powers – 1:56.42 (60th)
Women’s 200 yard IM
Athena Ye – 2:12.15 (113th)
Women’s 400 yard Freestyle Relay
Sarah Fergus, Athena Ye, Ashley Stark, Caitlynn Moon – 3:37.66 (49th)
Men’s 400 yard Freestyle Relay
Daniel Hein, Dylan Powers, Jacob Bjork, Jack Fergus – 3:09.41 (21st) – New Team Record; Daniel’s Lead-off split (46.99) was a new team record in the 100 yard Freestyle.
Women’s 1650 yard Freestyle
Caitlynn Moon – 16:26.56 (4th) – National All-American, New DCST Team Record
200 yard Butterfly
Sarah Fergus – 2:10.84
100 yard Freestyle
Jacob Bjork – 48.41
Ashley Stark – 54.66
200 yard IM
Ryan Schultz – 2:00.17
Jensen Keck – 2:10.95
Sarah Hein – 2:13.36
Kylie Olson – 2:14.41