Two National Cuts, 3 Team Records, and 80 Lifetime Bests at L.A. Invitational!
July 21, 2014
Twenty-five FAST swimmers competed in the Los Angeles Invitational last week and returned home with 80 lifetime bests! Ganem Tebet achieved his first-ever National cut in the 200 Breaststroke. Hayden Duplechain qualified in the 400 IM. Complete results from the meet can be viewed here.
Makena Ditsworth set a new team record in the 11-12 Girls 800 Freestyle. Her time of 9:38.54 was a drop of 9.5 seconds. The previous record of 9:48.07 was set by Makena in June of this year. Simon Lamar chipped some time off of his own team record in the 13-14 Boys 800 Freestyle. Simon split 8:26.61 taking out his 1500 Freestyle in Finals. Ganem Tebet's National cut and lifetime best 2:19.31 in the 200 Breaststroke set a new Open team record. The previous record of 2:21.01 was set by U.S. National Team alumnus Robert Margalis in January 2012.
Kayleen Bretz, Hayden Duplechain, Madeline Garcia, Kevin Smithmatungol, Michael Wang, and Emilee White posted lifetime bests in all of their races.
- Kayleen dropped in the 800 Free, 400 Free, 1500 Free, and 200 Free and dropped two more seconds in the 200 Free leading off an 800 Free Relay. Kayleen's time of 18:08.38 in the 1500 Free was a new Sectional qualifying time.
- Hayden improved in the 200 Fly, 400 IM, 100 Breast, and 200 IM earning second swims in the 200 Fly, 400 IM, and 200 IM. He raced to 2nd place in the B Final of the 200 Fly for 10th overall (2:04.04) and 4th place in the 400 IM (4:28.56). After just missing the podium in the longer IM, Hayden earned the third podium spot in the 200 IM (2:06.78).
- Madeline cut over 28 seconds in the 1500 Free earning a 19th place finish and her first-ever Sectional qualifying time of 17:55.85. She also dropped in the 800 Free (9:32.76), 400 Free (4:40.41), 100 Fly (1:11.12), and 50 Free (30.43).
- Kevin cut 7.5 seconds off of his 200 IM touching in 2:21.57 and dropped just under 1.5 seconds in the 100 Breast with a lifetime best 1:11.87.
- Michael had a great Butterfly weekend in Los Angeles dropping 4 seconds in the 200 Fly and breaking the 2:20 barrier for the first time with a lifetime best 2:18.37. His split of 1:04.96 from that swim was also a lifetime best.
- Emilee led off the 200 Medley Relay in 33.30, a 1-second drop. She also dropped 1 second in the 100 Free (1:03.66), half a second in the 100 Back (1:10.34), and over 5 seconds in the 200 Back (2:30.91).
Andres Frausto dropped in all but one of his swims, starting off the meet with a tremendous 40-second drop in the 1500 Free (16:46.68). His 800 split of 8:54.48 was also a lifetime best. He raced two great 200 Flys on Friday posting a lifetime best 2:09.74 in Prelims and 2:09.97 in Finals. He raced to 6th place in the 18 & Under Final heat for 30th place overall. His split of 1:01.94 was also a best time. Andres also improved in the 200 IM touching in 2:19.53 for a drop of 1.5 seconds.
Justin Wang went five for six on the weekend swimming lifetime bests in the 50 Free (27.04), 100 Free (57.95), 200 Free (2:06.45), 100 Breast (1:12.75), and 200 IM (2:22.13). He dropped 1.5 seconds in the 50 Free and 3.5 seconds in the 200 Free, both of which were swum leading off FAST relays.
Sean Kao also had great relay lead-offs throughout the week posting lifetime bests in the 50 Free (24.97), 100 Free (52.90), and 200 Free (1:56.32). He also dropped over half a second in the 100 Fly touching in 57.77.
Mick Olson posted four best times. He dropped half a second in the 50 Back leading off the 200 Medley Relay (33.74), half a second in the 100 Free (1:02.99), and just under 1 second in both the 100 Back (1:09.42) and 400 Free (4:34.78). Both the 100 Back and 400 Free were new JO qualifying times.
Cathryn Salladin went four for five on the weekend swimming lifetime bests in the 800 Free (9:19.74), 400 IM (5:13.82), 200 Breast (2:47.88), and 1500 Free (18:07.37). She dropped 1.5 seconds in the 800 Free, 7.5 seconds in the 400 IM, 3 seconds in the 200 Breast, and 16 seconds in the 1500 Free.
Emily Bautista swam best times in the 50 Free (31.01) and 100 Free (1:06.95). She also raced in five relays.
Ganem Tebet swam lifetime bests in the 200 Fly, 200 Back, and 200 Breast dropping 2+ seconds in each event. He finished 7th in a very competitive A Final heat of the 200 Breast which included 2-time Olympic champion Kosuke Kitajima of Japan.
Elise Garcia swam best times in the 200 Free (2:07.71) and 400 Free (4:27.85).
Sidney Kao dropped in the 100 Free (56.54) and 200 Free (2:00.76).
Isabella Kearns cut over 15 seconds off of her 800 Free (9:25.20) earning her first Sectional cut in the event. She also dropped in the 200 Back (2:29.06) and 200 IM (2:26.72).
Diego Pabalan posted best times in five events kicking off the meet with a huge drop of over 54 seconds in the 1500 Free (16:44.64) for 24th place. He led off the 200 Medley Relay in a best time 29.31 and also cut some time off of his 200 Back (2:13.36). He dropped almost one full second in the 100 Fly (1:00.53) and just over one full second in the 200 Free (2:00.30).
Mandy Schatz posted best times in the 50 Free (28.90), 200 Free (2:11.58), 100 Fly (1:07.49), and 200 Fly (2:24.16).
Courtney Tseng swam best times in the 50 Free (28.37), 100 Free (1:00.71), 200 Back (2:29.29), 200 IM (2:27.76), 200 Free (2:10.91), and 1500 Free (17:44.63). Courtney's time in the 1500 Free was a new Sectional qualifying time and a drop of 35 seconds.
Jerad Kaskawal and Simon Lamar both raced in the Final heat of the 1500 Free on Saturday. They swam Preliminaries on Thursday and qualified in the 6th and 7th positions. Both improved their times and places finishing under 16 minutes and in 4th (Simon, 15:56.86) and 5th (Jerad, 15:59.86) overall. Simon also dropped in the 200 Free posting a lifetime best 2:00.35.
Great meet, FAST!