September 7, 2014
Congratulations to our SPY Swimmers, Ragen Engel and Justin Crew, selected onto USA Swimming's 2013-14 Scholastic All-American Team.
Ragen Engel is now a senior at Springfield Catholic Central High School.
Justin Crew is now a senior at Springfield Shawnee High School.
Our two SPYNATIONkids were among 1782 other swimmers selected onto the Schoalstic All-American Team based on maintaining a 3.5 or higher GPA for the current academic year and swim a time equal to a 2011 Junior Nationals bonus time in any event during the qualification period. High school sophomores, juniors and seniors are eligible for inclusion.
Scholastic All-American team members will receive three certificates and a bag tag.Those with a 4.0 GPA will receive a special bag tag denoting the honor. Three-timers will receive a special memento. Awards will be shipped in the Fall.
There were two perfect scores this year: Simone Manuelachieved a 4.0 GPA and won national championship titles. She was also a three-time Scholastic All-American team member.World Record Holder Katie Ledeckyachieved a 4.0 GPA and won national championship titles. Congratulations to Simone and Katie for outstanding achievements.
Pretty cool that Ragen and Justin can say that they were on the same team as Simone Manual and Katie Ledecky.
As posted by USA Swimming: "USA Swimming is proud to recognize these scholar-athletes and congratulates the swimmers, as well as their coaches, and parents for their outstanding support."
Anyone interested in applying for 2014-15 Schoalstic All-American Team, here are the Requirements:
The application for the 2014-2015 Scholastic All-America Team will be available June 1, 2015. The application deadline will be August 15, 2015.
• The only method for application will be the online application on the USA Swimming website.
• Applicants will be required to have a USA Swimming
• Qualifying times for the applicant will be validated through the Times on the USA Swimming website (time MUST be in SWIMS).
• Applicant will be required to have a transcript for the COMPLETE academic year available for uploading to the application.
• Applicant must have been a USA Swimming member at the time of the swim and a current member when applying for the 2014-15 SAA team.
• GPA Requirement – minimum 3.5 GPA for the current academic year.
o The Scholastic All America committee members will calculate the GPA based on SAA methods.
o Honors, Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate courses will earn one extra Grade Point.
o Grades for academic subjects only are calculated – history/social studies, English, mathematics, sciences, foreign languages, arts (visual and performing), computer sciences. Grades for non-academic courses will NOTbe calculated -band, choir, health, driver education, physical education, and any other class marked non-academic on a transcript.