September 12, 2014
Getting enough water is crucial for and athletes who are in sports.
Did you know that you need 1/2 - 1 ounce of water per pound per
day? That means the 180 pound athlete needs between 3/4 and
1.5 gallons of water per day.
With fall sports in full swing, here's a quick table to ensure you or your athlete is staying fueled for maximum performance:
- 2-3 hours before exercise - 12-20 ounces of water
- Immediately before exercise - 7-10 ounces of water
- During intense training - 7-10 ounces every 20 minutes
- Within 1 hour following exercise - 20-32 ounces
- Throughout day - drink water