August 7, 2015
Hein and Ye Earn Their 4th Individual All-American Honors on Day 5 of the YMCA National Championships
On Day 5 of the YMCA Long Course National Championships, Daniel Hein and Athena Ye completed their perfect week by earning National All-American status in all four of their individual events. Hein got his 4th individual honor by taking home a 2nd place in the 200 meter Butterfly. Hein was 2.5 seconds under his personal best and previous team record. With a 0.4 second time drop in the 50 meter Backstroke, Ye placed 5th to achieved her 4th All-American award while also breaking her previous team record.
Hein joined Michael Carlson, Jacob Bjork and Dylan Powers to place 15th in the 400 meter Freestyle Relay. With a great 5.5 second time improvement, this foursome earned National All-American honors for the 3rd time in a relay event at this meet. By being awarded National All-American status twice on Friday, Hein has achieved this honor 7 times during the meet. He now has moved into a tie for 2nd place on DCST’s All-Time National All-American list by winning this honor 33 times in his career. He currently is tied with Grant Alef, and he trails only Emily Launer who achieved this honor 41 times in her DCST career. Moreover, Daniel’s lead-off 100 meter Freestyle split in the relay was a new DCST team record by 0.5 seconds.
Dylan Powers was also named a National All-American twice on Friday, when he placed 16th in the 100 meter Freestyle. Dylan was 1.6 seconds below his personal best, and he was 0.26 seconds under the old DCST team record. Other career best times for DCST on the day 5 were: Jacob Bjork (1 second in the 100 meter Freestyle), Jensen Keck (0.7 seconds in the 200 meter IM), Riley Lohse (0.5 seconds in the 50 meter Backstroke) and Sarah Hein (0.5 seconds in the 200 meter Butterfly). On Friday, DCST had 8 career best times out of 9 total swims. For the week, the team had 41 career best times out of 51 swims for a phenomenal improvement percentage rate of 80%. Furthermore, the team set 17 new team records, and six swimmers earned National All-American status a total of 25 times.
Listed below are some statistics each of DCST’s swimmers entered in the meet.
- Jacob Bjork had 4 personal best times, set 3 team records, and was named a National All-American 6 times.
- Austin Bockman had 3 personal best times.
- Michael Carlson had 1 personal best time, and was named a National All-American 3 times.
- Daniel Hein had 7 personal best times, set 7 team records, was named a National All-American 7 times, won 1 National Title, and achieved 1 Olympic Trial qualifying time.
- Sarah Hein had 3 personal best times.
- Jensen Keck had 4 personal best times, set 2 team records, and was named a National All-American 1 time.
- Riley Lohse had 2 personal best times.
- Kylie Olson had 1 personal best time.
- Mallory Pitstick had 4 personal best times.
- Dylan Powers had 4 personal best times, set 1 team record, and was named a National All-American 4 times.
- Aleida Wilkins had 1 personal best time.
- Athena Ye had 4 personal best times, set 4 team records, and was named a National All-American 4 times.
DCST Results Day 5 (Aug 7)
Female 200 meter Butterfly
Sarah Hein – 2:28.86 (49th)
Male 200 meter Butterfly
Prelims – 2:07.55 (3rd)
Finals – 2:05.74 (2nd) – National All-American, New DCST Team Record
Male 100 meter Freestyle
Prelims – 53.95 (16th) – New DCST Team Record
Finals – 54.48 (16th) – National All-American
Jacob Bjork – 55.77 (84th)
Female 200 meter Individual Medley
Jensen Keck – 2:33.13 (79th)
Female 50 meter Backstroke
Prelims – 30.34 (5th)
Finals – 30.23 (5th) – National All-American, New DCST Team Record
Kylie Olson – 32.94 (T-68th)
Male 50 meter Backstroke
Riley Lohse – 29.85 (57th)
Male 400 meter Freestyle Relay
Michael Carlson, Jacob Bjork, Dylan Powers
Prelims - 3:40.20 (15th)
Finals – 3:40.05 (15th)
All four swimmers earned National All-American honors. Daniel’s lead-off split of 53.72 in prelims was new DCST Team Record.
Final Team Standings (Out of 131 Teams)
DCST Females – Tied for 27th
DCST Males – 10th
DCST Combined (Females & Males) – 13th