July 6, 2016
Hello Stingrays Families!
We have had very successful meets so far this season. As we are halfway through the season the Stingrays coaching staff would like to remind you of a few important things regarding healthy eating decisions prior to and during swim meets:
- Eat breakfast! Instant oatmeal made with skim or low fat milk, toast with nut butter, dry cereal, yogurt and fruit are all light options that rev up the body. Opt for a heavier breakfast if the meet is in the afternoon.
- Pack in the protein. Cheese sticks or slices, nuts, peanut or nut butters, deli meat slices, yogurt or yogurt drinks, boxes of low fat milk, hummus or hard-boiled eggs.
- Don’t forget the Carbohydrates. Your muscles rely on carbs for fuel. Pack easily digestible sources such as 100% juice, fruit leather, applesauce, fresh or dried fruit, or veggie sticks.
- Drink a lot of fluids! Water and 100% fruit juice are appropriate at a swim meet.
Foods/Drinks to Avoid:
- Avoid refined sugars such as candy and desserts on race day.
- Avoid sugary/caffeine drinks including Starbucks and energy drinks such as Monster and Red Bull. Many energy drinks contain pharmaceutical-grade caffeine in addition to caffeine from natural sources. These combined sources of caffeine may cause the heart to race and blood pressure to increase. We want everyone to be healthy and feeling good at swim meets and practices.
Swim hard and fast!
Coach Steve and Coach Joe