Far Westerns Information
March 29, 2018
We are a week out from Far Westerns! I am looking forward to a great meet. I wanted to send some info out now to help you finalize your travel plans…
- Due to Northwest Pool being shutdown next week, we will be shifting our practice down to Carson City for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. These will take place from 7:30 AM - 8:45 AM.
- If your child has a conflict with these times, please let me know. I can supply a workout they can do on their own.
- On Wednesday, many of you will be traveling to Santa Clara. If you want to skip Carson’s practice and leave for Santa Clara in the morning that is fine. I do highly recommend your swimmer swims at least 30-45 minutes on Wednesday. I can supply him/her with a workout. The Santa Clara pool will not be available Wednesday evening for warm-up. If you are going to skip Carson on Wednesday, please let me know, and I can try to locate a pool in the Santa Clara area.
- The meet is trials and finals all four days. Warm-ups for prelims will start at 7:30 AM and the meet will start at 9:00 AM. I suggest everyone does the general warm-up on Thursday morning or on the first day your child is competing. This will help your child become familiar with the competition pool. As the meet progresses, we can adjust warm-up times based on the events of the day and when your child is swimming.
- They will be running two courses during prelims — boys and girls. For finals, boys and girls will be combined. There is just one heat of finals, but they do bring 10 swimmers back. Start time for finals will be determined at the meet.
- I submitted entries on Monday, but they have not published a timeline or psych sheet. As soon as I see it posted, I will send it out.
- The cost of your child’s entries will be charged electronically to your account. No need to write a check for entry fees.
- I would like to do a team dinner on Friday evening after finals. If there is a parent who would like to volunteer to help organize the team dinner, I would greatly appreciate it.
- Scott McLean will be bringing down the RENO tents. Thank you, Scott!
- If you haven’t been to Santa Clara yet it is a really cool pool with a ton of history. Several world records have been set there and it is home of the famous Santa Clara International Meet every summer. There is a large grandstand on one side of the pool and a big grass field adjacent to the facility. It is a good set-up for swimmers and spectators.
I will be in touch with more info as we get closer. If you have any questions, please let me know.