September 4, 2018
I hope everyone had an enjoyable three-day weekend. Please read through this email for important Reno Aquatic Club information.
Molly Lahlum Memorial Autumn Freeze – September 14 – 16
Online entries for the annual Douglas Dolfins Autumn Freeze close at midnight tomorrow (Wednesday). If you have not registered, please do so. We currently have 38 RENO swimmers entered into the meet. Thank you to those who are already registered.
Please be sure your swimmer talks to their coach about what events/days they should attend.
Fall Practice Schedule
We are one week into the new fall practice schedule. So far, I have been pleased with the new schedule and group structure. Unfortunately, the pool space is really inadequate, so we have to do the best with the lane space we are allotted.
I will continue to monitor the lanes and groups for the next few weeks. If necessary, some minor adjustments will be made. I have decided already to make a small tweak to Saturday morning workouts. More on this below.
As I mentioned at the Annual Meeting, I have heard feedback from city council members that the aquatics community is really quiet unless the new pool is on their meeting agenda. I feel it is really important that we—coaches and parents—step up and are consistently more vocal, so the council knows there is a large aquatics community in Reno.
A new pool is very important, but so is maximizing the use of our current facilities. The fact that Idlewild shut down on August 26 is very disappointing. From my understanding, the short season in 2018 was due to the lack of budget allocated to aquatics and the parks department.
As the council approaches a new budget cycle, it is important that aquatics is on their mind as they make budget decisions. And again, it is much more than just competitive swimming… it’s a public safety issue when kids do not know how to swim. If Battle Mountain (population – 3,635) can build a new recreation center, there is no excuse why Reno can’t get it done.
How can you help? When you have a spare moment, I ask that you respectfully reach out to the city council and stress the importance of aquatics. It is also important aquatics doesn’t fall off the radar, so If you put it on your calendar every 2 – 4 weeks to send a brief and respectful email to the council that would go a long way. Thank you for your assistance!
Here are emails for members of city council and the city manager:
- Hillary Schieve - firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Bobzien - email@example.com
- Jenny Brekhus - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Naomi Duerr - email@example.com
- Oscar Delgado - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul McKenzie - email@example.com
- Neoma Jardon - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sabra Newby (City Manager) - email@example.com
Saturday Morning Workout
We had a great turnout to our first Saturday morning workout of the fall schedule – 50 RENO swimmers were in the water! I was able to secure an extra 30 minutes of pool time on Saturdays. Therefore, I am going to make a slight tweak to the schedule:
- National group will do dryland first at 7:30 AM and then swim from 8:15 – 10:00 AM
- Senior group will swim from 7:30 – 9:15 AM then do dryland until 9:45 AM
- Pre-Senior group will swim from 7:30 – 9:30 AM (no change)
- Orange group will swim from 8:00 – 9:15 AM then do dryland until 9:45 AM
Here are the rest of the meets for 2018:
- September 14 - 16 - Douglas DolfinsAutumn Freeze / Minden, NV
- October 19 - 21 -- RENO's King of the Hill / Carson City, NV
- November 9 - 12 -- Nevada State Championship / Henderson, NV
- December 5 - 9 -- Junior Nationals / Austin, TX
- December 15 – RENO Intrasquad Meet and Christmas Party / Northwest Pool
Nevada State Meet
The State Championships is quickly approaching. It will take place in Henderson November 9 – 12. We would like to see a big showing for RENO at the meet! Swimmers do need to meet the qualifying time standards to participate. Click here for the State cuts.
Hotel Block for State
RENO has secured a hotel block for State. We have 25 rooms available at the Best Western Plus (1553 N Boulder Highway, Henderson, NV). The rate is $99 plus tax per night. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast buffet and it is close to the pool.
To book a room under this rate, please call the hotel directly (702 564-9200) and mention you are with Reno Aquatic Club.
If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. Thank you for your support.