October 29, 2018
I hope everyone had a great weekend! It is hard to believe we just have a few days left in October. As a reminder, there will be NO practice for any groups this Wednesday, October 31.
Please read through this email for important Reno Aquatic Club Information.
I will be submitting RENO’s entries for State tomorrow. Please click here for the 2nd draft of our state entries. Please email me with any changes by 9 AM on Tuesday, October 30.
On Saturday, November 3, we will hold a team rally for our State swimmers. All our welcome to attend even if you aren’t going to State. We will be practicing our RENO cheers and making posters. Here is the schedule for the day:
7:30 AM – 9:00 AM – National, Senior, Pre-Senior practice (Orange in at normal time, 8:00 AM)
9:00 AM – 10:00 AM – State rally (all swimmers are welcome!)
The swimmers had a blast at last Friday’s Halloween Party. Thank you to all those who attended. I posted some photos on RENO’s Facebook and Instagram. Be sure to take a look. A big thanks to Scott McLean for capturing the majority of the photos.
With the holidays quickly approaching, we will have some slight modifications to our practice schedule. I will do my best to give you as much notice as possible to any changes. Please be sure you read each week’s newsletter to stay up-to-date. Here are the known changes to our practice schedule:
- Wednesday, October 31 – No practice for any group
- Friday, November 9 – Normal practice for Blue, Pre-Senior, and Mini; No practice for National/Senior
- Saturday, November 10 – NO practice for any group
- Monday, November 12 – NO practice for any group (Veterans Day)
- Tuesday, November 13 – Normal practice for Blue, Orange will swim from 5 – 6 PM, Pre-Seniors will not have dryland and swim from 5:00 – 6:30, NO practice for National/Senior
- Thursday, November 22 – No practice for any group (Thanksgiving)
- Friday, November 23 – No practice for any group (Family Day)
- Saturday, November 24 – Normal practice for National and Pre-Senior group; NO practice for Orange and Senior
- Monday, December 17 – 26 – NO practice for Pre-Senior, Orange, Blue and Mini RENO groups; National/Senior schedule for this week TBA.
Team Break – December 17 – 26 (Pre-Senior and Below)
In the last newsletter, I stated the team break was going to take place December 23 – January 1. Last week, I was informed Northwest Pool is going to be shut down for a week of maintenance from December 17 – December 25. Therefore, the team break will be shifted a week earlier. I apologize for the change.
I have secured some pool space for swimmers in the National and Senior groups during this week. I am still working on finalizing the practice schedule, but I will let the swimmers/parents in these groups know as soon as possible.
The practice schedule for December 26 – 29 is still being worked on. I will keep you updated. As of now, the normal practice schedule will resume January 2.
See’s Candy Fundraiser
Last week, coaches began to distribute See’s Candy packets to swimmers. The rest will be handed out this week. Please check with your child to be sure he/she received one.
RENO participates with See's Candy in an annual fundraiser selling holiday candy and treats. This is a voluntary fundraiser but everyone's participation is appreciated. The team receives a percentage of the sales from See's Candy. The more the team sells, the higher the percentage returned to the team.
Packets are due November 30, and the orders will be available for families to pick-up the week of December 10 – 15. More details about pick-up will be available as we get closer to that week.
On the evening of December 15, RENO will hold its annual parent party. This year’s event will take place at the Renaissance in downtown. We will also be opening the party up to alumni. Click here to RSVP. It is going to be a fun event!
Additionally, we are seeking items for the
silent auction to be held that evening. Donated items could include
tickets (sporting events, plays, etc.), services (i.e. music
lessons, landscaping etc.), goods (i.e. gift cards, entertainment
baskets, etc.) or something else! Values range from $35 to
the skies the limit.
Please complete the Google form here by Saturday, December 1 to donate an item to the silent auction. We will collect the items December 6-13. Reach out to Torrey Palmer with any questions at email@example.com.
I strive to maintain a positive attitude on the pool deck. I frequently talk with the National group about the importance of having a positive attitude and how it impacts performance – at practice and at meets. I stress that when they wake up each day, they have a choice to be positive or negative. It’s one of the few things they can control. Overall, I have seen big improvements in the positivity in the National group and the team in general, but, as always, we can continue to do a better job.
I recently came across an article from TrueSport about coaching (and parenting) your athlete through positive self-talk. The article is linked below but here are a couple of key points I took away from it:
- “Coaching through positive self-talk is an opportunity to teach kids to approach new situations with optimism and confidence.”
- “As parents and coaches, the goal is to create an environment where athletes want to perform the right way because it feels good and elicits positive feedback, not because they fear negative feedback.”
- “It is OK to reprimand a kid for negative behavior, but you have to come back and give them a picture of what to do right. You can’t just leave it up to them to figure out what you want.”
- “Positive self-talk is an important skill in sports, the classroom, and in relationships. Changing the way you provide instruction and feedback influences how children learn to approach new situations and what they tell themselves about their performance.”
Each week, I will post the “Parent Education” section on the website. Click here to read the archived articles.
Here are the upcoming meets for Reno Aquatic Club:
- November 9 - 12 – Nevada State Championship / Henderson, NV (all qualified)
- December 5 - 9 -- Junior Nationals / Austin, TX (all qualified)
- December 15 – RENO Intrasquad Meet and Christmas Party / Northwest Pool (all)
- January 18 – 20 – Blizzard Blast / Carson City (all swimmers not going to Washington)
- January 18 – 21 – Washington Open / Federal Way, WA (all qualified)
- February 8 – 10 – Douglas Dolfins Invite / Minden, NV (all)
If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. Thank you for your support.