November 19, 2018
I hope everyone is getting ready for Thanksgiving. It’s definitely one of my favorite holidays! With Thanksgiving week, please note the following practice changes:
- We will have normal practice schedule Monday – Wednesday for all groups.
- There will be NO practice for the entire team on Thursday and Friday.
- On Saturday, National and Pre-Senior will have practice; Senior and Orange will not have practice.
- Normal schedule resumes Monday, November 26.
See’s Candy Fundraiser
The See’s Candy order form has been posted on our website in case you need a new one or lost the original. Click here to access it.
Packets are due November 30, and the orders will be available for families to pick-up the week of December 10 – 15. More details about pick-up will be available as we get closer to that week.
Parent/Alumni Party: RSVP & Silent Auction Deadlines
Our parent/alumni party is quickly approaching. Please RSVP here by December 7th. Held at the Renaissance in downtown Reno from 6:30 - 10:30 pm, the event promises to be a fun evening for parents and RENO alumni.
Please submit silent auction items via
the Google form
Saturday, December 1. Donated items could include
tickets (sporting events, plays, etc.), services (i.e. music
lessons, landscaping etc.), goods (i.e. gift cards, entertainment
baskets, etc.) or something else! Values range from $35 to
the skies the limit. We will contact you to collect the
actual items December 6-13.
Reach out to Torrey Palmer (firstname.lastname@example.org or 775-772-9043) or Kendra Follett (email@example.com or 775-240-5184) with questions.
With all the top-10 RENO times achieved at the State meet, I missed a swimmer in my recap. Congratulations to Aidan Pflieger for swimming the 9th fastest 1650 free and 10th fastest 500 free for 13-14 boys in RENO history!
If you missed my recap last week, click here to access it.
Holiday Practice Schedule
In the coming weeks, we will have some slight modifications to our practice schedule. I will do my best to give you as much notice as possible to any changes. Here are the current adjustments to the schedule:
- Thursday, November 22 – No practice for any group (Thanksgiving)
- Friday, November 23 – No practice for any group (Family Day)
- Saturday, November 24 – Normal practice for National and Pre-Senior group; NO practice for Orange and Senior
- Monday, December 17 – 26 – NO practice for Pre-Senior, Orange, Blue and Mini RENO groups; National/Senior schedule for this week TBA.
- December 27 – 29 – Modified schedule to be announced
- Monday, December 31 – No Practice for Pre-Senior and below; Swimmers going to Washington Open will have practice from 10:00 – 11:30 AM.
- Tuesday, January 1 – No practice for any group
Team Break – December 17 – 26 (Pre-Senior and Below)
Our annual winter team break will take place December 17 – December 26. The break is taking place this week due to Northwest being shut down for repairs.
For swimmers going to Washington Open, I have secured some pool space during this week. I am still working on finalizing the practice schedule, but I will let the swimmers/parents know as soon as possible.
The practice schedule for December 27 – 29 is still being worked on. I will keep you updated. As of now, the normal practice schedule will resume January 2.
This week’s “Parent Education” is a little different. With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I want to take a couple of minutes to thank all of those involved with Reno Aquatic Club. We have a special team, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to be head coach. This team has such great coaches, swimmers, and parents that it makes my “job” very rewarding.
This team would not exist without our parents. Thank you for supporting your child and allowing them to be a part of RENO. Even though they may not always show it, your child greatly appreciates the time and financial commitment you provide. In addition, a big thanks to the parents who serve on our board and those who go above and beyond to help throughout the year. Our parents make RENO the best team in the area.
I am very grateful for my coaching staff. My staff has done a tremendous job over the last year. I have seen huge improvements in our younger groups, and they are helping shape the future of RENO. All the coaches bring unique talents and strengths to our team, and I greatly appreciate their hard work.
I want to thank the RENO swimmers for being a part of our team. They are a joy to coach and make each day on the pool deck enjoyable. It’s an honor to help them improve in and out of the water. I look forward to working with them over the months and years to come.
I am very thankful for the older swimmers I coach on a day-to-day basis. These swimmers have gone through numerous coaching changes in their careers, but they have stayed loyal to Reno Aquatic Club, their teammates, and coaches. To make an impact as a coach, you need your athletes to “buy-in” in to what you are trying to accomplish. I am thankful that these swimmers have bought into my coaching philosophy and have trained hard over the last year.
Finally, I am very thankful I have a wonderful family that supports me. Being a swim coach requires a unique schedule – late nights at the pool and long weekends at swim meets – but Lauren, my wife, supports and encourages me to be the best coach possible. I couldn’t do it without her.
Thank you all for making Reno Aquatic Club the best team in Northern Nevada!
Each week, I will post the “Parent Education” section on the website. Click here to read the archived articles.
Here are the upcoming meets for Reno Aquatic Club:
- December 5 –9 – Junior Nationals / Austin, TX (all qualified)
- December 15 – RENO Intrasquad Meet and Christmas Party / Northwest Pool (all)
- January 18 – 20 – Blizzard Blast / Carson City (all swimmers not going to Washington)
- January 17 – 20 – Washington Open / Federal Way, WA (all qualified)
- February 8 – 10 – Douglas Dolfins Invite / Minden, NV (all)
If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. Thank you for your support.