September 2, 2019
KISU Mission Statement:
KISU Swim Club provides competitive swimmers of all abilities with high quality programs and outstanding coaching in a fun, supportive team environment. Our athletes achieve both personal and performance excellence, in and out of the pool.
Congratulations to both Ashley McMillan and Tyler Wall on their outstanding performances at World Juniors. Both finished in 8thplace (in the WORLD for 18& under) for their individual qualifying events 200IM and 100back respectively. Ashley moved up in the rankings to 20thfor 200back. Tyler raced to 19thplace for 50 free and earned a bronze medal with his 4x100 medley relay team. Huge thanks to Coach Tina for all your time and commitment to KISU athletes!
Upcoming Meets and Events:
Swim practice starts the week of September 9th!
Mini Squad coaches will meet their groups by the waterslide.
Juniors and upwill meet by the KISU office.
Team Suit Pick up/Trials: September 9th& 10th
Where: Community Centre Lobby
Most of this season’s team suits have arrived and are ready for pick up. Our equipment manager Simone will be set up in the lobby with suits for pick up/trial both Monday and Tuesday. If your suit style/size is not available, you will be emailed as soon as the next shipment arrives.
Welcome Back BBQ: September 13th
When: Friday Sept 13th6:00-8:00
Where: Skaha Beach by the waterpark
Come out and meet new and continuing club members as well as coaches, staff and members of the KISU board. This is a great opportunity to put a face to the name! We hope to see everyone there!
September Team Practice: September 27th
Age Group, Intermediates and Swim Academy: 3:30-5:30
Mini Squad, Juniors, Super Juniors: 4:00-5:30
This is our first Team Practice of the season!! Team Practice is held on the last Friday of the month. It is a great opportunity to have some hard work and fun in the pool. Although each month has a different activity, we often have peer teaching so there is some team bonding and interaction between our younger and older swimmers.
KISU October Jamboree: Oct 20th Sign up Deadline Sept 30th
This will be our first Home Jamboree of the season. It will follow after the conclusion of the Pentathlon.
Please see meet info below for more information.
Session Time: Sunday October 20, 2019
Warm Up: 1:30-2:05 pm
Start: 2:15 pm
Projected Finish: 6pm
Cost: $20 per swimmer with volunteer commitment
Location: Penticton Community Centre, 325 Power Street
Pool: 10 lanes x 25m competition pool
Colorado Timing System
- All events will be run as mixed gender and open seeded.
- Results will be separated by gender and age groups (as shown in “Eligibility”).
- All events will be timed finals.
- Swimmers having no times will be placed in the slowest heat.
Volunteers are needed to run this meet. Please sign up via the ‘Job Sign up’ tab on the home page. Job Sign up Deadline: Friday October 11th
KISU Triple Pentathlon: Oct. 18th-20th Sign up Deadline Sept 30th
Main Meet - requires sub4min for 200 IM time.
Registration Deadline: Friday, Sept. 30 (start the year off right by registering RIGHT NOW). Late registrations might be accepted but are subject to a $10 late fee.
Location: Penticton Community Centre
Warm ups: Friday - 3 pm (everyone) Saturday - 7:30 am for 12&U, 1:30 pm for 13&O Sunday - 7:30 am (everyone). Swimmers should be there 15 minutes early for stretching.
Meet format: Timed Finals. Swimmers will be combined age groups for heats but separated for results.
Entries: Swimmers will swim all the events with some exceptions for younger swimmers in the longer events. Entries will be posted on the website prior to the meet.
Entry Costs: $30, when the club's volunteer policy commitment is fulfilled.
(Please see document below for more detailed information.)
· Friday – 100s of all the strokes, plus 200 IM.
· Saturday – 200s of all the strokes, plus 400 IM.
· Sunday – 50s of all the strokes, plus 100 IM.
Coaches' Editorial: This is our home meet. ALL KISU swimmers (sub4 for 200 IM) should be there! Meet information and entries is posted in the link below.
Volunteering at the Meet
Job Sign up Deadline: Friday October 11th
· Swim meets are a MAJOR fundraiser for our club, and as such, all parents are needed and required to help out. The funds raised benefit each and every KISU swimmer! Swim meets are completely run by volunteers. The club makes money by charging entry fees for the swimmers to compete in the events. This meet charges swimmers from every other club $6 per event . . . $90 to swim the 15 events of the weekend. KISU swimmers get to participate for only $30 (and this includes dinner on Friday night) as a way of saying thank you to the parents for their volunteer time.
· Each family is required to provide one adult volunteer for the equivalent of one session on each day of the swim meet for which they have one or more swimmers registered.
· A penalty of $25 will be applied to the account of the swimmer(s) per session where the appropriate number of volunteers is not provided. The volunteer must be registered for their commitment through the club website by the stated deadline. The penalty will be stated as part of the event description.
· Volunteers must be a minimum of 16-years old. Volunteers do not have to be members of the family. Children less than 16 years of age are welcome to volunteer but do not fulfill the requirement of an adult volunteer.
· Volunteers will be assigned roles by the Volunteer Coordinator. Roles will be assigned based on the experience of the volunteer. Volunteers will be assigned to different roles in order to develop the knowledge and experience of our volunteer pool. You may be assigned multiple roles in a single session. (i.e. meet heat sheet sales and timing, or timing and ribbons etc.)
· To sign up, click the Job Sign Up icon. There will be 4 sessions over the three-day meet.
KISU AGM (and October team practice, yes in November…):
When: Friday November 1st, 4:30-5:30
Where: Penticton Community Centre Meeting Room TBA
Please remember that this meeting is for ALL club members, mini squad parents through to Academy.We encourage everyone to attend, as our attendance is recorded in our gaming grant reports and affects the decisions for how much grant money the club receives each year.
Our goal is to be finished by the time swimmers are out of their practice.
Positions up for nomination this Season:
3 Member at Large positions
We are looking for volunteers to fill the key positions below for the upcoming season:
Travel Manager:Takes care of Coach accommodation bookings as well as team travel arrangement for the season.
Sponsorship and Fundraising: Contacts existing sponsors to secure donations for the following season. (this is in the works for next season). Actively recruits new sponsors throughout the season.
If you are interested in taking on any of the above positions, please contact Lisa at email@example.com
Do you need some new KISU gear? Contact our equipment manager Simone Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org to order swimsuits, caps, goggles and flip flops! Looking for other items, visit the Team Aquatic Website at www.team-aquatic.com and enter the discount code ‘KIS395’ at checkout to receive the team discount. Or present a copy of the shark card at retail stores.
FACEBOOK: KISU SWIM CLUB
Join our Facebook page for exciting and important information about KISU!
Do you have a question- Contact us!
Head Coach: Tina Hoeben, email@example.com, 250-486-4286
Administrator: Amy Wall, firstname.lastname@example.org, 250-490-7452