April 5, 2021
USA Swimming is aware of local, state and federal regulations
restricting access to gathering to attend required safety trainings
for non-athlete members, including Safety Training for Swim Coaches
and CPR/AED training.
USA Swimming previously granted an automatic extension of these
requirements through March 31, 2021. At this time, USA Swimming is
further extending the exception through July 1,
2021. Although in-person training is limited, athlete
safety is paramount and thus it is imperative for members to
refresh their skills. As a result, this extension
will not be automatically
This extended exception is premised on the following:
- The exception is available to current non-athlete members only and will not apply to new non-athlete members.
- The exception is available only to certifications that expired after March 1, 2020. Any certifications that expired prior to March 1, 2020, will not be granted this exception.
- If your certifying agency permits you to complete full certifications, you are strongly encouraged to do so.
For certifying agencies granting certification extensions:
- The member must submit any correspondence from the certifying agency including specific information about the extension and new expiration dates (e.g. provisional/temporary certificates, email notifications, etc.) to the LSC registrar.
- The LSC registrar will update the member's SWIMS record after receiving the required documentation.
For certifying agencies not granting extensions:
- In order to extend CPR/AED certifications, the non-athlete member must complete the online training portion of the certification course(s) and submit completion certifications to the LSC registrar. The LSC registrar will be responsible for updating the member's SWIMS record.
- In order to extend Safety Training for Swim Coaches, including lifeguard and in-water safety training certifications, the non-athlete member must complete the online training portion of the certification course(s) and submit completion certifications to the LSC registrar. The LSC registrar will be responsible for updating the member's SWIMS record.
It is important to note courses which can be completed on line such as membership requirements and other certifications, must be updated on or before its current expiration date. These courses include Athlete Protection Training, background checks, Coaches Advantage Training, and online Safety Training for Swim Coaches.