June 13, 2021
Time Trials was great on Saturday! Thank you to everyone who pitched in to make it a success. Results are attached to this email and also posted in the Documents section of our Team Unify webpages. If your swimmer has DQ written by their time, there was a reason that they were disqualified: a false start, incorrect stroke technique, pushing off and forward from the bottom of the pool (there are actually many ways to DQ!) No worries; the coaches will work with your swimmers to get them “legal”.
Morning Practices begin Monday, June 14th in the Lower Pool
7:45am – 8:45am – 13 + olders
8:45am – 9:45am – 9-12 year olds
9:45am – 10:30am – 8 + unders
9:45am – 10:15am – Tropical Storms
Evening Practices are from 6:30pm – 7:15pm for all ages, including Tropical Storms. Swimmers can attend evening practice on Tuesday/Thursdays if they are unable to attend regular morning practices.
Sign up for B meet events. Swimmers are eligible to swim any two strokes they want, plus an Individual Medley (if they are able and willing). We will have a sign-up sheet circulating at Monday morning practice where swimmers can declare what they’d like to swim. If you miss the sign up or are not at Monday practice, email [email protected] by NOON MONDAY to let us know what you’d like to swim. Tropical Storms will not yet be swimming at the B meet, but are encouraged to come and cheer on their team-mates.
Monday B Meet: Woodley @HRA
- Parking: We want our visiting team to have plenty of space to park in our lot, so we ask that Hurricane families either 1) walk to the pool from home, 2) park at Woodburn Elementary and walk to the pool, or 3) park on a street in Holmes Run Acres, taking special care to not block any driveway.
- Volunteer Slots: We still need (2) Stroke/Turn Judges, (3) Timers, (2) Marshalls, (4) Set-Up, (1) Mask Runner, and (5) people to help at the Hurricane Café, including folks to work the grills. All deck officials should wear navy blue bottoms and white tops (also, bring a water bottle!) This all works easily if everyone does a little to help: HRARA: Hurricanes Volunteer Roster (signupgenius.com)
- Timeline of Events
- 4:30pm – Set Up Crew arrives to set up spectator chairs, move diving boards, remove pool ladders, set up tables for data team and concessions, move food from storage down to Hurricane Café, set up Clerk of Course area
- 5:00pm – Swimmers arrive
- 5:10pm – Referee briefing with Team Reps, Coaches, Marshalls
- 5:20pm – Swimmer Warm-Ups
- 5:30pm – Timer Meeting; Stroke/Turn Judges Meeting
- 5:40pm – Swimmer Warm-Ups
- 5:55pm – Pool is cleared
- 6:00pm – Meet Begins
Order of Events: Freestyle, Backstroke, IM, Breaststroke, Butterfly
Swimmers and families are welcome to stay and cheer or leave after their events
- Masking: This was a FAIL on Saturday, so we need to do better. All people over the age of 2 who are unvaccinated are asked to wear a facemask. Swimmers in the team area and Clerk of Course should keep their masks on. Masks should be removed before entering the pool for a swim event and placed in a baggie labelled with your name.
All masked swimmers are encouraged to take regular "breaks" by distancing themselves from others, removing their mask for fresh air and drinking plenty of fluids. If they begin to feel overheated, dizzy, or weak, they should keep their mask on and get the attention of a coach immediately.
- Hurricane Café will be open for dinner! The menu includes: Hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, pizza, snacks, candy and ice-cold beverages. Cash or cards are accepted.
- Ribbons: At the end of the meet, swimmers are awarded ribbons to celebrate their success. Each swim family has a labeled file folder in the Upper Pool House where they can find their ribbons, usually a day or two after a meet. “Personal Best” ribbons are the way that we mark improvement throughout the summer. A PB ribbon will show how much time your swimmer dropped from their own previous best time. Go Hurricanes!
If you are still reading, thank you. See you tomorrow!
Heidi and Natalie