USA Deaf Swimming Surveys Athletes for Deaflympics
June 13, 2021
Greetings athletes, families, and friends of USA Deaf Swimming,
We send our warmest greetings to all of you as we all begin various stages of emerging from the COVID pandemic. We hope this email finds you well and returning to "normal" in your schools and hometowns; and we hope that this year finds you returning to swim training in full force as well.
USA Deaf Swimming is making plans to recruit athletes for participation in one or both of two upcoming meets:
1. 2021 Short Course World Deaf Swimming Championships, Gliwice, Poland, November 15-20, 20212. 2022 Summer Deaflympics, Caxia do Sul, Brazil, May 1-15, 2022. (Tentatively rescheduled from 2021)
*These meets are tentatively scheduled at this time. Information has been received for the November meet, and we are waiting for word from the Organizing Committee for continuation of planning for the 2022 Summer Deaflympics in Brazil. Participation of the national team in either or both of these events is subject to changes in travel restrictions related to the Covid pandemic.
To support those planning efforts, we ask you to complete a brief survey of your possible interest in these events (see #1 below). We have also published an Athlete Criteria Document and full Athlete Application on the USA Deaf Swimming Website (see #2 below). The application can be used for either meet and you can designate which of these two meets that you wish to apply to attend. Cost of travel and competition is the responsibility of each athlete selected for the team, and more information regarding cost estimates can be found at the links below.
Any athlete who is interested in applying for the USADS travel team for either of these events should please complete the following:
1. Brief survey of your interests (due by July 1st)
2. Submission of complete application and supporting documents by July 31st, 2021.
3. Submission of official audiogram (for new deaf athletes only).to USA Deaf Sports Federation. (by July 31st)
4. Payment of travel deposit by all selected team members by October 15th, 2021 (for Deaflympics; deadline tbd for Poland WDSC)
Please let us know if you have any questions regarding these opportunities. More information is available regarding fundraising options and related NCAA rules. See the USADS website at www.deafswim.org for more details. If you know of any potential deaf athletes who may be interested in applying for these above competitive opportunities, please share this information with them as well!
Go Team USA!
USA Deaf Swimming
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]