June 22, 2021
Greetings from the Glenwood newsroom.
This week marks the return of more of the swim-team traditions we missed in summer 2020.
The always-popular $1 Wednesday-morning breakfast starts tomorrow morning. Your swimmers can arrive early to fuel up before practice, or they can stay afterward to grab a bite with friends.
The first B-meet this season is Wednesday evening. Please encourage your kids to get their stripes on for this fun, Tigers-only event. Swimmers should arrive at Glenwood at 5p.m. for warmups; the meet begins at 6 p.m. The coaches’ update about the B-meet is here.
We are still seeking talented Tigers to perform the Star-Spangled Banner at the meets—including this week’s B-meet! Don’t be shy—the crowd is friendly and, in summers past, Glenwood has featured national anthem performances that really wowed! If your child loves to sing or plays a musical instrument and wants to step up for this honor, let us know by responding to this email or contacting Glenwood parent Cara Hur.
Other important items in today’s Tiger news bulletin:
- We want to give a shout-out to our diving Tigers for their 46-43 victory on Sunday over the Rock Creek Fins! It was a great meet with tons of Glenwood spirit—and more than a few swim team members on the boards! Congrats to the dive team!
- Please be aware that landscapers are scheduled to be at the pool every Thursday morning (Friday rain date). Swimmers and parents attending practices are asked to keep off the grassy areas of the property while the crews are working on site, including the hill behind the terrace seating area. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
- The family folders are back in business. Filed in alphabetical order and located on a cart just inside the pool manager’s office, this is where we put your swimmers’ ribbons each week and conduct other team business throughout the season. A good rule of thumb is to check your family folder once a week.
- It’s not too early to buy your child’s green, 100 % cotton t-shirts for the team’s July 7 t-shirt decorating event! These shirts do not need to be expensive and can typically be found at low prices on Amazon and in stores such as Michaels. The color you’re looking for is typically called “Irish Green” or “Kelly Green.” It’s important that the shirts are all cotton because the bleach used for the decorating won’t work well on polyester or cotton-poly blends.
- Is your child interested in swimming competitively year-round? If so, you may want to begin exploring options now. Many clubs hold tryouts and fill their rosters for the coming year during the summer. For example, RMSC, located at the Martin Luther King Jr. Swim Center in Silver Spring, is holding tryouts June 28 and July 19. Interested swimmers must preregister. More information is available here. Glenwood swim team families are also a good source of information about the various programs available, so don’t hesitate to ask around.
- Saturday’s A meet this week is away against Clarksburg Village. Heads up: Traditional concessions will not be provided. Instead, families may pre-order now or over the next few days from HANGRYPANDAFOODTRUCK.COM. Pre-ordering instructions can be found here.
That’s all the news for now.
Show your stripes, Tigers!—Your Team Reps