June 26, 2021
It’s a great day to be a Hurricane! We celebrate our second straight win, with a final score of 219-191. See the attached Meet Results document for the details. Some highlights:
- The Girls 13-14 Medley Relay team set a new team record, with an incredible time of 58.53. Congratulations to Zoe Dunn, Lizzie Forde, Prix Hixson, and Amira Traish!
- A special shout-out to two of our other relay teams: Boys 8+under Freestyle Relay (Chance Neely, Foster Middendorf, Micah Middendorf, Joseph Lestingi) and Boys 13-14 Medley Relay (Andrew Hogge, Brenden Lyons, Caden Mitchell, and Indie Hixson). Although each team finished second to our Hayfield friends, they swam LEGAL races, and earned us the points. We applaud you for “swimming smart”, doing your best, and staying positive!
- An observer from the NVSL joined us this morning to make sure that the meet management was up to the high standards of the League. Many thanks to Referee Mike Lyons for coordinating the efforts of all officials, volunteers, and swimmers. The highest compliment paid to HRA was about our outstanding kids – their kindness, good behavior, spirit and sportsmanship was very impressive. (we agree!)
Sign up for B meet events. Swimmers are eligible to swim any two strokes they want, plus an Individual Medley (if they are able and willing). If a swimmer placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd in an A meet event today, they cannot swim that same stroke at the B meet. We will have a sign-up sheet circulating at Monday morning practice where swimmers can declare what they’d like to swim. If you miss the sign up or are not at Monday practice, email [email protected] by NOON MONDAY to let us know what you’d like to swim. Tropical Storms will not yet be swimming at the B meet, but are encouraged to come and cheer on their team-mates.
Absences for the A Meet on Saturday, July 3rd. Please let us know if your swimmer will not be able to participate in the A Meet. We NEED TO KNOW by Wednesday at NOON so the coaches can create the best meet sheet for the team.
Monday B Meet: HRA @ Lake Braddock (9528 Ashbourn Dr. Burke, VA 22015)
- Parking: Plan on about 20-25 minutes of drive time from our pool to Lake Braddock Pool. There should be plenty of parking!
- Volunteer Slots: The beautiful thing about an “away meet” is that we just get to show up. But we are still expected to bring deck officials to help out. We still need (1) Stroke/Turn Judge, (2) Timers, (2) Marshals (arrive about 5:00pm for briefing). All deck officials should wear navy blue bottoms and white tops (also, bring a water bottle!) HRARA: Hurricanes Volunteer Roster (signupgenius.com)
- Timeline of Events
- 5:00pm – Hurricanes arrive to Lake Braddock Pool. We can congregate outside the pool gates in the parking lot and enter together for Maximum Impact
- 5:20- 5:40pm – Hurricanes Warm-ups
- (Timers briefings and Stoke-Turn Judge briefings will happen during the 5:20 – 5:45pm window)
- 5:40pm – Pool is cleared
- 6:00pm – Meet Begins
Order of Events: Freestyle, Backstroke, IM, Breaststroke, Butterfly
Swimmers and families are welcome to stay and cheer or leave after their events
- Masking: Lake Braddock asks that all people over the age of 2 who are unvaccinated wear a facemask. Swimmers in the team area should keep their masks on and remove them before going to Clerk of Course.
That’s it for now, folks. See you Monday evening!
Heidi and Natalie