July 2, 2021
When someone does a small task beautifully, their whole environment is affected by it." - Jerry Seinfeld
Happy Friday, folks! Thanks to a few summer storms yesterday, the temperatures have cooled down and we are looking at some gorgeous weather for our Saturday meet and for the rest of the holiday weekend. See the attached meet sheet to see what your child/ren will be swimming. Be ready for a really close meet against Rolling Hills. Every swimmer counts. Every point counts. Go Hurricanes!
Family Potluck Dinner, Trivia Contest, and Pep Rally begins at 6:00pm on Friday. It’s Chicken Night! Food assignments are by family last name: Holmes Run Acres Hurricanes : Event (teamunify.com)
A - G: Side dish of your choosing (surprise us! it's a potluck!)
H - N: Salad with bottle of dressing
O - Z: Chicken: rotisserie, fried, nuggets
Each family is welcome to bring a tablecloth and their own beverages (lemonade will be provided) and enjoy socializing. Pep rally and cheers will follow. All swim families are invited, regardless of if you’re participating in A meets, B meets, or are Tropical Storms.
Saturday Morning A Meet: Rolling Hills @HRA (Meet theme: Fourth of July!)
- Parking: We want our visiting team to have plenty of space to park in our lot, so we ask that Hurricane families either 1) walk to the pool, 2) park at Woodburn Elementary and walk to the pool, or 3) park on a street in Holmes Run Acres, taking special care to not block any driveway.
- Volunteer Slots: Right now, we still need one more Timer, one more Marshal, (4) Set-Up, arrive at 7:00am, (3) people to help at the Hurricane Café (especially with set-up, starting at 7:30am), and (2) folks to work the grills. All deck officials should wear navy blue bottoms and white tops (also, bring a water bottle!) Sign up is simple: HRARA: Hurricanes Volunteer Roster (signupgenius.com)
- Timeline of
Events – Swimmers will dress up for
the Fourth of
- 7:00am – Set Up Crew arrives to set up spectator chairs, move diving boards, remove pool ladders, set up tables for data team and concessions, move food from storage down to Hurricane Café, set up Clerk of Course area
- 7:45am – Referee briefing with Team Reps, Coaches, Marshals
- 7:50am – Hurricane swimmers arrive
- 8:00am – Hurricane Warm-Ups
- 8:20am – Rolling Hills Farm Warm-Ups
- 8:25am – Stroke/Turn Meeting with Referee in baby pool area
- 8:35am – Timers Meeting outside Lower Bathhouse
- 8:40am – Pool is cleared
- 9:00am – Meet Begins
Order of Events: Freestyle, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly (BREAK) Relays
- Senior Recognition: During the scheduled break before Relays begin, we will spend a few minutes to recognize our graduating Seniors: Annabel Sullivan, Yuina Barzdukas, Sabrina Reyes and Erik Judy. Celebrate their milestone with us and wish them well for the next chapter in their lives.
- Masking: All people over the age of 2 who are unvaccinated are expected to wear a facemask. Swimmers in the team area and Clerk of Course should keep their masks on. Masks should be removed before entering the pool for a swim event and placed in a baggie labelled with your name.
- Hurricane Café will be open for breakfast! The menu includes Anita’s Breakfast Burritos, bagels and cream cheese, donuts, coffee, fruit, snacks, candy and ice-cold beverages. We’ll also fire up the grills for burgers and dogs as we round into lunchtime. Cash or cards are accepted.
Looking Ahead: Next week will be busy with three “away” meets. A B Meet on Monday at Parliament Pool, the Divisional Relay Carnival at Rolling Forest, and an A Meet on Saturday at Annandale Swim & Tennis. We will send more specific information about each meet, especially the Relay Carnival which is a very unique event and very fun!
Much love to you all,
Natalie Brooks and Heidi Gallacher