July 11, 2021
Q: How do pirates measure the distance they swim?
A: In YARRRRRds.
What a meet today! We set some team records and had a lot of fun in the sun:
- Zoe “Blink and You’ll Miss Her” Dunn took down a 2002 record in the Girls 13-14 50M Butterfly with a time of 32.53
- Girls 13-14 100 Medley Relay team continues to mess up the record board with a new time of 1:05.40. Well done: Zoe Dunn, Steffi Forde, Prix Hixson, and Lizzie Forde
We have ALL STARS in our midst: The Girls 13-14 200 Free Relay team clocked in at 2.04.66. Lizzie Forde, Steffi Forde, Prix Hixson, Zoe Dunn were the 14th fastest relay team in the whole NVSL last week!
Sign up for B meet events. Swimmers are eligible to swim any two strokes they want, plus an Individual Medley (if they are able and willing). We will have a sign-up sheet circulating at Monday morning practice where swimmers can declare what they’d like to swim. If you miss the sign up or are not at Monday practice, email [email protected] by NOON MONDAY to let us know what you’d like to swim.
Calling All Tropical Storms. We will have a Kickboard Race for our youngest swimmers as the first event in the B Meet. Although these swims are not eligible for legal freestyle times, they will build confidence and are a LOT of fun. Your children may also choose to be assisted by their Big Fin or another Junior Coach. Let us know if we should save them a lane [email protected]
Monday Evening B Meet: Burke Station @ HRA
This will be our very last Home Meet of the season (yay!).
- Parking: We want our visiting team to have plenty of space to park in our lot, so we ask that Hurricane families either 1) walk to the pool, 2) park at Woodburn Elementary and walk to the pool, or 3) park on a street in Holmes Run Acres, taking special care to not block any driveway.
- Volunteer Slots: We still need (5) Timers, (1) Marshal, (4) Set-Up, and (5) people to help at the Hurricane Café, including folks to work the grills. All deck officials should wear navy blue bottoms and white tops (also, bring a water bottle!) This all works easily if everyone does a little to help: HRARA: Hurricanes Volunteer Roster (signupgenius.com)
- Timeline of Events
- 4:15pm – Set Up Crew arrives to set up spectator chairs, move diving boards, remove pool ladders, set up tables for data team and concessions, move food from storage down to Hurricane Café, set up Clerk of Course area
- 4:45pm – Referee briefing with Team Reps, Coaches, Marshals
- 4:50pm – Hurricane swimmers arrive
- 5:00pm – Hurricane Warm-Ups
- 5:20pm – Burke Station Warm-Ups
- 5:25pm – Stroke/Turn Meeting with Referee in baby pool area
- 5:35pm – Timers Meeting outside Lower Bathhouse
- 5:40pm – Pool is cleared
- 6:00pm – Meet Begins
Order of Events: Kickboard Races, Freestyle, Backstroke, IM, Breaststroke, Butterfly
- Hurricane Café will be open for dinner! The menu includes: Hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, pizza, snacks, candy and ice-cold beverages. Cash or cards are accepted.
Hurricanes Day at the Water Park
Join your Hurricane teammates for a fun afternoon at Great Waves Water Park at Cameron Run Park, Thursday July 15!
We will meet outside the park at 1pm and spend the afternoon enjoying the wave pool and water slides. Cost is $15.50 for kids over 48" tall and $12.00 for kids under 48" tall. Ages 2 and under are free. All kids must have their own chaperone. (Note: there will not be evening Swim Practice on July 15th because our coaches and 13+olders will be enjoying their Progressive Dinner)
Information on the water park is available at https://www.novaparks.com/
Great Waves Address:
4001 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22304
Thursday Evening Practice will not happen on July 15th, due to the Coaches and 13+older Junior Coaches participating in the annual Progressive Dinner.
The Sexiest Team Rep on Deck Today, (that’s what Heidi's husband said, but just about Heidi)
Heidi and Natalie