Board Meeting Minutes - July 12, 2021
August 17, 2021
Surfside Board Meeting Minutes
July 12, 2021
- Call to Order
- President’s Report – Case Spencer
- Coach Katie has been well-received as the new coach at Redondo Beach. Currently, since there has been such a low turnout at the Redondo pool, she is the only coach on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Even though we are currently not getting a lot of swimmers at Redondo, we are going to keep all our lanes in the hopes that with upcoming tryouts and the fact that summer participation is typically low, we will soon be getting more swimmers in the pool.
- We are going back to quarterly dues effective August 1st. The Board decided to raise fees $25. We will reassess in the fall and consider raising rates again in January 2022.
- Head Coach Issues – John York
- Absent. John was coaching during the meeting.
- Treasurer – David McDaniel
- Pool rental expenses have increased this past year and our reserves have decreased by 44% due to lack of income during the pandemic thus necessitating an increase in dues.
- David’s children are no longer involved with Surfside, so he will be leaving the Board as soon as a replacement is brought up to speed.
- Sandra Ota, who is an accountant and has a son who is a senior, has volunteered to join the Board for the next 1½ years. Case nominated her to the Board. Michelle second the nomination. And the motion passed unanimously.
- David will meet with Sandra to switch over the duties, and she will join us at the next Board meeting.
- Membership - Michelle Brill & Kelley Mayeda
- Tryouts are July 23rd at Mira Costa.
- Michelle’s children have aged out of Surfside, so she will be leaving the Board as soon as a replacement is found and brought up to speed.
- Kayo Libiana has a C swimmer and has shown interest joining the Board. Kayo will be helping at the upcoming tryouts and meeting with Michelle and Kelley to discuss what is involved with the Membership position.
- Meet/Sign Up Coordinator – Elisa Nye
- Elisa has agreed to start training to be the next Board President. (Case’s children are aging out and he would like to leave the Board before too long.) Michelle nominated Elisa to be the Acting Vice President. Case second the nomination. The motion was passed unanimously.
- Elisa will continue, for now, as the Meet/Sign Up Coordinator as well. Even though we will be switching to quarterly dues, we will need to continue the workout sign-ups so that we can abide by the current limit of swimmers per lane.
- Secretary - Eileen Brown
- Eileen is willing to take on more responsibilities along with continuing in the role of Secretary.
- New Business
- The Board and the coaches are reviewing policies and creating procedures regarding discipline issues that may arise with swimmers. Communication between coaches and parents is key when concerns arise on either end.
- Meeting adjourned at 7:35pm.