September 15, 2021
Listed below is the process to become a new stroke and turn official. The team will reimburse any expenses to get certified. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks, Coach Dee
NEW OFFICIAL CHECKLIST How to Become a Stroke & Turn
Complete the online Apprentice Application
It will take couple of days (weekdays) for KY Swimming to add you to the database.
Develop an account with USA Swimming (if you already have one, go to Link your account)
- Go to www.usaswimming.org
- In top hand corner of site, click on Login/Register
- Register to establish an account
Link your membership in USA Swimming
- Login to USA Swimming
- Go to top right-hand corner of the site
- Click on your name and select MY ACCOUNT
- Find USA Swimming Membership Link and search for your name to link the account
***For those that already with a USA Swimming login and have linked to your swimmer’s membership, you will need to unlink from your child’s account to link to your account
Complete Background Check
- You have 60 days to complete the Background Check on the usaswimming.org website.
After this time, you will not be able to apprentice until after the Background Check has been completed.
- Background Check procedure can be found on the How to Become an Official USAS page on the kylsc.org website.
- Complete Athlete Protection Training
- You have 60 days to complete the Athlete Protection Training Course www.usaswimming.org/apt
- You will not be able to apprentice until after the Athlete Protection Training has been completed.
- Links to all requirements can be found on the How to Become an Official USA Swimming page.
Concussion Protocol Training (CPT) All non-athlete coach and official members must complete CPT
- Courses from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) OR the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), as well as individual states’ required courses will satisfy the USA Swimming requirement. (For example, if a coach lives/coaches in a state with a concussion education requirement, he/she must only complete this requirement and will not need to complete an additional course). Many high school coaches will have already completed the NFHS training.
View USA Swimming Instruction Videos (bottom of How to Become an Official page)
- NOTE: Rule change not found in video – hands stacked at the touch in breaststroke and butterfly
Attend the Officials Clinic
- You can attend the clinic at while in the process of completing the tasks above. The clinic should be completed prior to starting your apprenticeships.
- It is helpful to watch the USA Swimming Instruction Videos prior to attending the Stroke and Turn Clinic
Additional information - The items below will be discussed in the Clinic –
Take Certification Stroke and Turn/Timer test (Wet Side)
- Take on-line at usaswimming.org (You can download the Rules and Regulations PDF, located on the About tab)
- Go to usaswimming.org; set up an account and log-in
- Under the OFFICIALS tab, select ONLINE TESTING
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the red button, Start/Resume Online Test
- From the drop-down menu, Select A Test, choose Certification-Stroke and Turn/Timer and take the test
Apprentice 4 Sessions
- Inform Meet Referee of your intention to apprentice, contact info found in the meet information
- Attend stroke briefing 30 minutes prior to each session – SIGN IN
- MUST have Apprentice Verification Form filled out for each session
- Apprentice with various ages/levels of swimmers
- Wear white top, khaki bottoms, white shoes
- Submit completed Apprentice Verification Form
- Keep a copy for yourself
- Scan or take a photo and email to Officials’ Chair, Becky
Gilpatrick, [email protected]