December 3, 2012
* Congrats to the SAC on capturing its first win of the season on Saturday. We had an excellent overall team performance in our 578-440 victory over ACWS. A special "tip of the cap" to our new members who competed in their first ever dual meet. ACWS is very strong with a number of talented swimmers and swam an outstanding meet. I thought our competitve spirit was fantastic and we did an amazing job of racing hard to beat the clock in every event. While we did have a number of DQs, they appear to be easy fixes through some extra attention on areas such as two hand touches, early take-offs on relays, and minor stroke technique adjustments. Our cheering was exceptional throughout and I'm really impressed by how much our kids know about shooting for best times and knowing what their teammates are striving to achieve in each race. Parents: thank you for all of hard work volunteering, your loud cheering, and overall positive support for your children and our team! Meet results have been added to everyone's online accounts.
* The great racing continued on Sunday at the Naylor Memorial Invitational at Northern High School. 21 Ship swimmers competed with a number of new personal bests. Lek Powell lowered his club record in the 50 free en route to claiming the meet's high point award. Kari Powell set a new club record in the 50 breast, and our 8 & under mixed medley relay team of Jillian Strine, Noah Saylor, Kari Powell, and Gardner Gray raced to a 1st place finish. Although we had a couple swimmers out with illness, team members stepped in to ensure the relays could still compete. Lek moved up to swim the fly leg on a 13-14 mixed medley with Hannah Saylor, Courtney Lawson, and Bree Wright. 8 year old Emily Smith competed in the anchor leg of the 11-12 mixed medley with Larkin Slattery, Sarah Saylor, and Teddi Powell. Emily gave it her all to help the team, and even held off an 11 year old from another team to give Ship a 2nd place finish!!!
Coach's super swims go out to Noah Saylor (100 IM), Kari Powell (50 fly), Jillian Strine (25 fly), Gardner Gray (25 back), Brandon Estep (25 back), Riley Hollar (25 breast), Emily Smith (relay), Colby Estep (50 free), Lek Powell (50 back), Rachel Knight (50 free), Regan Hollar (100 free), Larkin Slattery (100 IM), Sarah Saylor (100 IM), Anna Ambrosio (100 free), Audrey Ambrosio (50 free), Hannah Saylor (200 free), Courtney Lawson (100 back), Agusta Gray (100 back), Bree Wright (100 back).
As soon as I receive the official results, I will post them to everybody's TU account.
* Team Pictures tomorrow (Tuesday)!!! We'll be cycling swimmers into their practice groups after all pictures have been completed. Remember your picture forms! Extra copies are available at the pool.
* There will be no practice on Friday, December 7. I will be away at a high school diving invitational on this night.
* Our next dual meet will be on Saturday, December 15 at home against Mechanicsburg. Online registration will be open until 8pm on Wednesday, December 12. I will have lineups posted for everyone the following afternoon.
* Remember to enter through the auditorium doors in the back of the school building.
* USA Swimming Championship qualifiers as of 12/01/12:
Middle Atlantic Senior Championships: Rachel Nye (50 fr, 100 fr), Devon Slattery (100 br), Girls 200 Medley Relay (M. Morehouse, D. Slattery, M. Goodhart, R. Nye)
Middle Atlantic Junior Olympics: Quinn Slattery (50 fr, 100 br), Julia Strine (50 br, 100 br), Lek Powell (50 fr, 50 bk, 50 br), Makenna Morris (200 fr)
* Entry information will be posted on Tuesday at 12 noon for the USA meets at University of Delaware (Jan. 6) and Cumberland Valley (Jan. 13). An additional USA meet is being added on Jan 26-27 at Central York as well.