June 6, 2013
June 2013 Barracuda News
June Important Dates:
- Jun 7th - NO PRACTICE (Splash into Summer event)
- Jun 8th - JRRC vs. Rio Del Rapids @ home
- Jun 12th - Picture Make-Up Day
- Jun 14th - Seniors Bring your parents to Practice Day!
- Jun 15th - JRRC vs. Glen Oaks @ home - Senior Appreciation Meet Declare by 6/8
- Jun 17th - Seniors - Ropes Confidence Course
- Jun 17th - NorCal Night at the RiverCats
- Jun 22 & 23 - Battle of The Ages Invitational - sign-up by 6/6
- Jun 24th - Seniors - Bring your little buddy to Practice
- Jun 29th - JRRC @ Folsom Tigersharks (afternoon start)
- Jul 5th - NO PRACTICE
- Jul 10th - Night Slides at SunSplash - Register by July 3rd
What’s the BEST DAY of the week?... RACE DAY!
It is going to be a hot one this weekend! Please make sure to come prepared with lots of water and shade! Make sure your swimmers drink lots of water the days leading up to the meet as well as on meet day. Please make sure to be on time this weekend for checkin, volunteer shifts, etc, we want to make sure that we start right on time and that the meet progresses in a timely fashion so that we can avoid as much of the heat as possible.
Key Times: The following key times pertain to the meet:
- 6:00am Gates are unlocked
- 6:30-6:50 Check-in for home team
- 7:00-7:20 Check-in for visiting team
- 7:20-7:30 Scratch meeting
- 7:30-8:30 Meet Setup
- 7:00-7:40 JRRC Barracudas Warm-ups
- Swimmers go to Age Group Tent before Warm Ups
- Jr. Coaches will escort swimmers to blocks 5 minutes before warm-up time assigned
- Make sure numbers in lanes are even
- Exit Pool at opposite end when finished
- Level 2 - 7:00am to 7:05am
- Level 3 - 7:05am to 7:11am
- Level 4 - 7:11am to 7:18am
- Level 5 - 7:18am to 7:28am
- Level 6 - 7:28am to 7:40am
- 7:40-8:20 Rio Del Oro Team Warm-ups
- 7:40-8:05 Reseeding & Finalizing of the Meet Program
- 8:05 JRRC Team Cheer
- 8:15 First shift timers report
- 8:20 Events 1-3 report to ready bench
- 8:20 Meet Officials Meeting at Ops Table
- 8:18-8:25 Presentation of colors and National Anthem
- 8:25 Timer Tests
- 8:25 Event 1 arrives behind blocks
- 8:30 Meet commences
****At conclusion of FLY events, swimmers must report to Age Group Tent for Relay assignments****
Saturday, June 15th Home Meet vs. Glen Oaks - Senior Presentation
Please check-in/out of this meet by Saturday, June 8th. The coaches put the meet together on Monday the week before a meet so knowing who is going to attend and event preferences is needed before registration closes.
Please also note that this meet will be our last home meet for the season so we will be taking this opportunity to recognize our graduating seniors.
Some families plan to stay at the Embassy Suites in Walnut Creek for the Battle of The Ages. It's a fun way for the families to gather after a day of races. Below is the hotel information - families that are interested in staying at the hotel need to make their own arrangements.
Hotel Info: Embassy Suites - 1345 Treat Blvd., Walnut Creek Bay Area
Volunteer Update - Donna Hubbard
Check your Shifts for this Weekend
Please make sure you know what shifts you are working this coming weekend. You can see the shifts assigned to you by doing the following
- Meet & Events
- Click on the Reports tab
- Click on Job Signup Report for My Account
- Fill in the dates June 8, 2013 - June 8, 2013
- Click Search
If you have any questions about your shift, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator for your area, the complete list of contacts are here.
Age Group Tents - What are they and why do we have them?
Age Group Tents are meant to be the swimmers, parents, and coaches main contact point during a meet.
- In the morning the age
group tents are where parents and swimmers can go to get the heats
and lanes for the day
- This can be a crazy time since this information can get to the age group tents very late in the morning, please make sure that priority is given to those swimmers in the first 2 events since you can always go back to get the information for the later events/heats/lanes.
- 6&Under Tent is used also in the morning to get ready for the 1st event of the meet, the mixed Free Relay, so in the morning all 6&Unders should be at the tent by 8:10. It is important to have parents here at this time as well to help get kids to the right lane and right side of the pool
- During the meet swimmers
should meet at the age group tent 2-3 events prior to their next
event prior to going to the ready bench
- Kids can also hang out a during the meet playing games with others in the tent as well, but must be respective of the parents and other children in the tent
- Towards the end of the meet
all swimmers should meet at the age group tent after the
Fly event for their age group to get organized for relays
- Relay time is always crazy so it is important that all swimmers are present so that coaches can insure that the relays are filled with swimmers, if a swimmer isn't there it is possible they will replaced with a swimmer that is there.
The age group parents sometimes will bring snacks and/or games to share, but it isn't necessary for them to do so. All parents are encouraged to work with the age group parent on a meet day with snacks/games. If you do bring snacks please make sure that they promote healthy choices and help fuel the swimmers for the long day of races. All the coaches want the swimmers to be successful during a meet and what they eat during the day can impact how they swim. For more information on suggestions on how to fuel your kids for a meet, checkout this article from USA Swimming: http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&itemid=3748&mid=8712
Spirit - Tamara Oliveira
Is this your 5th year on the Barracudas? If so come by the Spirit tent to pick up your 5-year Beanie!
Remember to say hi to your buddy at the meet and cheer for them during their races! Come by the spirit tent and make cards for your buddy!
Need to checkout who your buddy is and their favorite things? The complete list is posted under the Social/Spirit tab -> Barracuda Buddies
June 8th is the "Super Hero Meet"
We are looking for some swim super heros at the meet this Saturday! What kind of super hero are you going to be? Are you prepared to show everyone how fast you can "Fly"? Let's see if you can "Free" all the water from the pool with your super fast freestyle. Don't look "Back" now, the enemy is rapidly approaching....All in super hero kind of fun, of course.
Stop by the Spirit Table and see what super hero gear you can adorn yourself with at the meet!
Social - Andrea Olson
Come join your Barracuda buddies for the SunSplash Nite Slide event in Roseville!
The event is Wednesday, July 10th from 5:00 - 10:30.
The ticket price is $23.00 per adult/child.
The DEADLINE to buy tickets is July 3rd. Don't procrastinate - buy now!
Ticket price includes admission to the park from 5:00 - 10:30. It also includes an all you can eat and drink dinner of hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, dessert and soda. Dinner will be served from 6:00 - 7:00.
This price also includes our covered spot designated for the Barracudas!
So, grab your Barracuda friends and even your neighbors for this fun event. The more the merrier!
Tickets will be available for pick-up on Monday and Tuesday,
July 8th and 9th on the pool deck.
Please use the Attend Event to advise if you will be attending or not.
We will start at our normal time of 6:50 PM.
Parents can join us in the swim den for videos and music trivia.At 7:05, we will get in the water.
Please bring your suit and goggles for the workout.
We will all swim together for the first 45 minutes (until 7:50).
Then, you can shower/clean up and if you choose, stay for a sweet treat to share with your swimmer(s) when practice ends at 8:30.
We will all swim a set together, do some relays, and participate in some other fun activities in the water.
The swimmers will be challenged with group activities that include rope climbing and various challenges that will be both demanding and rewarding.
This is a team building/bonding experience designed to challenge the swimmers and allow them to have fun together as a group.
What to bring:
*Parents, please email coach Vance (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have a van/SUV and are able to help drive.
*If your swimmer is going to attend, you must email coach Vance by Wednesday, June 12th to confirm. email@example.com
Make-up day on Wednesday, June 12th - sign-ups required.
Summer Practice Schedule
The shift to the summer practice schedule starts Monday, June 10th. Also, NO PRACTICE FRIDAY, JUNE 7th due to Splash Into Summer party.
Clinics for June and July are now open! Below is the June clinic focus, but click here for the full list of the Sunday Swim Clinics. These clinics are amazingly priced at $15 per session. Sign up at the Southside Front Desk.
NorCal Swim League Night @ Raley Field
Interested in catching a River Cats game with other NorCal Swimmers??? Then head out to Raley Field Monday, June 17th - click here for ticket info and details.
BarracudaWear is now Online!
Time to submit your Championships Meet Programs Ads!
Both corporate and personal ads will be placed in all five conference championship programs. Get exposure for your business or place a personal message for your swimmer(s).
Sizes available & price:
- Full page ad-$300 (8.5" x 11")
- Half page ad-$165 (8.5" x 5.5")
- Quarter page ad-$90 (4.25" x 5.5")
- Eighth page ad-$50 (4.25" x 2.75")
Ads will be accepted in pdf format only.
Please submit ads no later than July 1, 2013 to Jennifer Hartman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you 2013 Sponsors!
|Everlast Professional Dental|
|Rex Moore Electrical|
|Granite Bay Investments|
|Olympus Pointe Orthotics|
|RJ Hartmann Construction|
|John C. Birch D.D.S|
|Bannai Family Dentistry|
|Carleson Production Group|
|Healthy Living Nutritional Therapy|
|Farmers Insurance, Greg French|
|The Ferguson Group|
|Cool River Pizza|
|Granite Bay Limousine|
|The Funk Rockers|
|MAS Mexican Restaurant|