July 6, 2014
Its swimathon time again........
Who: All Piranhas and their Families
When: During Regular Practice time on 18July
Where: Home Pool, Community Center
Why: It's a great opportunity to bring family and friends together for some great outdoor fun, supporting teammates and raising money for the Make-A-Splash Foundation.
What is a Swim-A-Thon
Swim-a-thon is a fundraiser used by swim teams all over the United States to raise money for charities. To raise money for Swim-a-Thon, swimmers receive pledges and donations from family members, friends, neighbors, and local businesses.
This is a family and community event. All swimmers are encouraged to participate regardless of fund raising.
Make a Splash is the national, child-focused water safety initiative of the USA Swimming Foundation. Make a Splash partners with learn-to-swim providers across the country in an effort to provide the opportunity for every child in America to learn to swim.
TAKE STEPS TO BE SAFE
- Learn to Swim!
- Never swim alone.
- Follow pool rules.
- If someone in the water is in trouble and you cannot swim, reach, throw, but don?t go!
WHY MAKE A SPLASH?
- Drowning is the 2nd leading cause of childhood accidental death
- Ten people drown each day in the U.S.
- Seven out of ten African-American children cannot swim
- Six out of ten Hispanic children cannot swim
- 42% of Caucasian children cannot swim
- Children from non-swimming households are eight times more likely to be at-risk of drowning
2012 marked the return of this style of fundraising event. By all accounts, it was a big success. Kids pushed themselves to swim farther than they thought possible, they learned of the importance of water safety and USA Swimming was very appreciative of the over $2000 we raised!
For further information and to sign up your swimmer(s), please go here