August 15, 2014
Our Long Course season came to a close last weekend at the YMCA Nationals in Indianapolis, IN. It was a great success and we are so pleased with how things finished up. Our team ended the competition with a combined rank of 14th in the nation. Our women finished in 14th place and our men finished 19th overall. We would like to thank and recognize all of the athletes for making the trip. For the Women-Morgan Franklin, Alyssa Arwood, Camille Long, Anna Vess, Karina Lubian-Lopez, Mary O Soule Grace Reeder, Ashleigh Lechner, Emma May and for the Men- Luke Lechner and Jake Johnson.
Here are the top scoring finishes from the meet:
- Alyssa Arwood won the 50 Meter Breaststroke taking down the reigning national champion in the process. She was one tenth of a second off of breaking the National record. She also won the 100 Breaststroke the following evening. She also won the B final of the 50 Freestyle on night 1.
- Our Women made their first National Relay Championship Final in the history of our program. We finished in 7th place overall. The relay was comprised of Camille Long, Alyssa Arwood, Mary O Soule and Grace Reeder.
- Luke Lechner placed 3rd in the 400 meter Individual Medley which is his highest finish at Nationals. He also place 6th in the 200 meter Breaststroke, 6th in the 200 meter Butterfly and 5th in the 200 meter IM.
- Mary O Soule has turned in 3 scoring swims at YNats. She finished 11th in the 100 meter Butterfly and 10th in the 400 meter Individual Medley and was 5th in the 200 meter Butterfly.
- Camille Long scored points for the team in the 1500 meter freestyle with a 16th place finish.
Of course we are happy with the stellar team placement and individual accolades, but it was such a pleasure to see our young Piranhas growing and working together as teammates. They represented our team with class and were great sportsmen throughout the week.
I would also like to share the results of our 14 and Under North Carolina state championships. We had such a fun time at the meet in Raleigh and finished 11th in the state out of 70 teams. We saw amazing time drops and so much improvement. Great job swimmers!
Here are a few dates to add to your calendar for next month.
-We will have our banquet on Sunday September 7th at 1pm- Location TBA.
-We will host a parent meeting at Reuter on Monday September 15th at 6:30pm. We will cover all types of information and have a separate session for New Piranha parents.
-Our 2014-2015 Schedule will be out soon!
I would like to thank everyone in our Piranha family for helping make this year a great one! Go Piranhas!