February 2, 2015
Kelowna Snow Fest January 2015
8 swimmers from Whitehorse Glacier Bears flew to Kelowna last weekend to compete at Snow Fest invitational swim meet. The total of 16 finals were swam by WGB athletes. Many more finals would have swum but we all had to leave early on Sunday, to catch the plane back home.
Swimmers broke a lot of best times and 8 club records were also broken. 6 of them now belong to Adrian Robinson (14): 50, 100 Free, 50 and 100 Back, 50 and 100 Breast. All of those gave him BC AAA qualifying standards. 2 other new records were broken by Hannah Kingscote (12): 50 and 100 Back. Hannah broke very old records that used to belong to Alexandra Gabor. Hannah received a very nice letter with congratulations and good luck wishes for the rest of her swim season from Alexandra Gabor.
Our finalists were:
- Hannah Kingscote 50 Free B final, 100 Back 2nd place, 100 Fly 8th place, 200 IM 7th place, 50 Fly 6th place,
- Emma Boyd 50 Free B final, 200 Free B final
- Aidan Harvey 50 Free 7th place, 100 Back 5th place, 50 Fly 7th place, 50 back 5th place
- Adrian Robinson 50 Free 3rd place, 100 Back 5th place, 50 Fly 8th place, 50 Back 6th place on 14-15 age category, 50 Breast 2nd in 14-15 age category
- Luke Bakica 200 Breast 4th place, 50 Breast 7th in 14-15 age category
- Donovan Bielz 100 Back 6th place, 200 Free 2nd place, 200 IM 4th place
- Thomas Bakica 100 Fly 7th place, 200 IM 7th place, 50 Fly 8th place, 50 Breast 3rd in 12-13 age category
Very good swim had Aidan, who first time took part in 1500m event. Our 12 years old swimmer held very even pace and was able to finish it with negative split, which shows his potential for longer distances. Aidan said that he really liked this race and he would like to do it again and he is looking forward to improve his time.
A lot of fight and willing to brake their best times showed Emma (12) and Donovan (16) in 200 Free. Emma won her morning heat, without giving any chances to her opponents. Emma swam very brave in the morning and she improved her old time by 19 seconds. Donovan stayed focused during his 200 Free final and broke his best time by 6 seconds.
Snow Fest swim meet in Kelowna was successful for Glacier Bears. For sure there is more confidence in those young athletes.
Head Coach Malwina Bukszowana