February 16, 2015
Team Communication – Buenaventura Swim Club
February 16th, 2015
1) California/Nevada All Star Meet VS Itoman Japan. Congratulations to Alicia Harrison, for earning the Gold Medal in the 400 Medley Relay, as well as an individual 4th place finish in the 100 Meter Breaststroke and a 6th place finish in the 50 Meter Freestyle. Congratulations are also in order for Alex Valente who earned two individual Gold’s in the 100 & 200 Meter Butterfly, as well as a Bronze Medal in the 400 Medley Relay. These two swimmers did a fine job representing Buenaventura Swim Club, Southern California Swimming, and the California/Nevada Section of USA Swimming. Good Job Alicia and Alex as well as the CA/NV Section for winning the Dual Meet.
2) Coastal Champs Entry Deadline. Don’t forget, entries for our very own Coastal Champs are due on Tuesday, February 17th (extended one day due to the holiday). Apologies in advance as there have been many issues not only with the entry file, but also the meet sheet. With that said, please do your best to compare your entries with the meet sheet to be sure that you have the minimum time standards, in most events, it is a RED Minimum time.
3) Swim A Thon 2015. The swim a thon is already right around the corner. There will be multiple email communications regarding the swim a thon, but please mark your calendar for Wednesday, March 11th. As you are soliciting donations, keep in mind that this year, 100% of the money goes toward your club fundraising obligation (as opposed to only 80% in the past). Also, in an effort to make the event more entertaining and more of a spirited team event, we are changing the format. Instead of simply swimming 200 laps individually, we will be forming relay teams where we will match swimmers from the Senior, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and even Pre-Competitive Groups (if pre-comp swimmers would like to participate). More details to come.
4) Touch the Wall - Documentary. Touch the Wall is a swimming documentary that is based on Olympians Missy Franklin and Kara Lynn Joyce. We are in the process of setting up a private screening of this movie at the Downtown Theater. The tentative date is Saturday, March 14th after Saturday morning practice, sometime between 10am-12pm. This has not been approved quite yet, updates coming soon.
5) Annual Awards Banquet. The awards banquet will return to Poinsettia Pavilion this year. It will take place on Sunday, March 15th in the afternoon. We will unveil a special logo that we will use on our annual recognition pins as well as team shirts and sweatshirts. Team shirts and sweatshirts will be available to all members, including family and friends. Be on the lookout for our “B-Strong” initiative.
6) Fitter Faster Tour & Clinic. Mark your calendar; we will again host a Fitter Faster Clinic on Saturday, May 30th (younger swimmers) and Sunday, May 31 (older swimmers). In fact, the sign up is already live and you can book your ticket now! This will feature two Olympians on both days. We have already secured sprint specialist Kara Lynn Joyce as our female clinician and recently announced Matt Biondi as our male clinician. This is the same Kara Lynn Joyce who will be featured in the documentary, Touch the Wall. This is such a great experience, as each of these clinicians have reached the pinnacle of swimming and stayed at the top for a span of three Olympiads.
Have a great week!