February 16, 2015
STAR Swimmers & Parents,
After the qualifier meet this past weekend in Hillsborough, I just wanted to help clarify which meets you should be planning to attend over the course of the next few weeks. We have a meet about every weekend until the end of March and each one is specific as to which swimmers it is best suited for. To help determine which meets a swimmer should be attending it is important to know their times (which you can pull up on the STAR website or on the USA Swimming website - usaswimming.org - under times search).
On the USA Swimming website it will usually identify their times as "B", "BB", "A", etc. You can also look on the STAR website under the "Swimmers" tab and it will show you the Motivational Time Standards (B, BB, A, etc) as well as the qualifying times for NC Swimming 14 & Under and Senior Championships and Age Group and Senior Sectionals. For these meets you qualify based on your time in each specific event. Below is a list of each meet that is coming up and what determines who swims in each of them.
- NCS Sr Champs – Qualifying Times from website or meet information
- NCS 14 & Under Champs – Qualifying Times from website or meet information
- Senior Sectionals – Qualifying Times from website or meet information
- B/C States – If you have a “BB” time in no more than one stroke (you could have two in the same stroke such as 50 free and 100 free; IM does count as a stroke) then you could attend this meet
- Age Group Sectionals – Qualifying Times from website or meet information
- Tarheel States – If you have one “BB” time in any stroke for 12 & Unders (Can’t swim an event that they have an AG Sect. Cut in) then they can swim in this meet; This meet is the end of season meet for all 13 & Over Swimmers.
- Long Course Friday Night Races Meet – April 17th – put it on the calendar as it is open to everyone!
It is correct that a swimmer could do B/C States and also Tarheel States or get their “BB” time at B/C States and qualify for Tarheel States or if they have a “BB” time in only one stroke.
These meets are a great way to wrap up the season with some great swims in a great environment. We want all of our swimmers to do Tarheel States as it is a great chance to wrap up the season with a prelim/final meet.
Please go to the STAR website to look at each of these meets, check the meet information and go ahead and sign up for the meets that are best suited for your swimmer. If you have any questions then please check with your coach or let me know.
Make sure you get to practice as often as possible so you can be ready for some Fast Swims!