March 17, 2015
Team Communication – Buenaventura Swim Club
March 17, 2015
1) Annual Awards Banquet. Thank you to all who attended our Annual Awards Banquet on Sunday. It was a great venue this year. We were all treated to a catered meal, listened to a great message from Olympian Chloe Sutton, celebrated our graduating seniors, and presented B Strong Sports Bags to all our members. We still have our annual recognition pins, for all of our swimmers, on their way and will pass them out as soon as we receive them. Congratulations to those who will be leaving us this year to continue their journeys elsewhere; Alex Valente, Brandon Lum, Hayden Mortensen, Katrina Hayek, Niles Biolley, Sara Martinez, Solie Laughlin, and Zach Grimaldi. Buenaventura Swim Club continues to be a great program that helps these young people prepare for life after high school.
2) Swim A Thon Fundraiser. Another thank you goes out to all of our Swim A Thon participants, both in the pool and in fundraising. This year we tried something different; a Relay Format. While some swimmers were disappointed because they wanted to break their record pace in completing 200 laps or surpass their previous all-time high in total laps, most really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the relay format and the opportunity to interact with swimmers outside their normal training group. It’s good to mix things up, so we will probably do the traditional version next year. Also, another reminder; we have until the end of the month to continue making donations to the Swim A Thon! There are a number of families who have not contributed yet. Remember, this is 100% directed to your fundraising obligation and we never shy away from a challenge. Our goal this year is to raise $25,000. Please help by doing your part.
3) Swimmer in the Spotlight. Please visit our website and check out the latest coach selections for Swimmer in the Spotlight. These youngsters are very special and deserve the recognition for catching their coach’s eye. You can see their picture and read about them by visiting buenaventuraswimclub.org, clicking on the “Swimmer in the Spotlight” box next to the rotating pictures on the home page. Congratulations are in order for Annika Arroyo – Senior Group, Davin Chaffin and Sydney Roman – Gold Group, Jack Edwards Tenison – Silver Group, Lexi Zimplemen and Noelle Paulson – Bronze Group, and and Hayden MacDougall – Pre Competitive Group. Way to go Buena Swimmers!
4) Updated Swim Meet Schedule. There is an updated swim meet schedule attached to this email. If you do not see it, or can’t open it, please let your primary coach know and he/she will send you the updated schedule separately. Please keep in mind, the schedule is “tentative”, there may be changes as other meets become available or if any meets get cancelled. Our goal is for one meet per month, except when you approach “Championship Season” (late summer), there is opportunity for more meets. Feel free to discuss with your primary coach the appropriate meet schedule for your swimmer.
5) Olympic Exposure. Buenaventura Swim Club has worked hard to give our kids access to Olympians on various occasions as of late. First, Olympic Gold Medalist and former World Record Holder, Rebecca Soni offered some “Brain Training” tips to our senior swimmers. Then, we were able to listen to a great speech by two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton at our recent Awards Banquet. Next, (mark your calendar), we will again host a Fitter Faster Clinic on Saturday, May 30th (younger swimmers) and Sunday, May 31 (older swimmers). In fact, the sign up is already live and you can book your ticket now! This will feature two additional Olympians. We have secured sprint specialist Kara Lynn Joyce as our female clinician and Matt Biondi as our male clinician. This is the same Kara Lynn Joyce who will be featured in the documentary, Touch the Wall, which we will be watching soon. This is such a great experience, as each of these clinicians have reached the pinnacle of swimming. In fact, they each competed in three separate Olympic Games. We can all learn something from an Olympian who has been at the top for three separate Olympics!
Have a great week!