April 6, 2015
We are back from a great week at the YMCA Nationals in Greensboro, NC. Last week was another great meet for us. Our team competed extremely well including breaking National records, winning an individual YNAT title and achieving many lifetime best times. Aside from the swimming part, our youngsters were great representatives of our association. They were supportive of each other and showed great sportsmanship throughout the meet. We are really proud of the way that we finished the meet. On the last day we had 95% best times, while most of our competition did not fare quite as well. Below you will find a synopsis of our meet and some pictures as well. Thank you to everyone on our staff and team who helped out this season, we would not have had so much success without your help! Congratulations to all of our qualifiers as well.
- Our Girls finished in 19th place out of the 193 total YMCA’s who had qualifiers.
- Our Boys swam extremely well with many new lifetime bests, we hope that we can score some boy’s points next year as well as qualify for some relays.
- Alyssa Arwood won the 100 Breaststroke again
this year while also breaking the YMCA National
Record! She now owns the 2 fastest times in the event in
- In addition to winning the 100 Breaststroke she finished 4th in the 200 Breaststroke with a new lifetime best. She continues to improve a lot in this event.
- Alyssa will start swimming for Duke University in the fall!
- Camille Long finished 13th in the Mile and scored points at YNATS with a new lifetime best time. Congrats to her.
- We were 12th in the 400 Medley Relay with a new Team Record and USA Junior National qualifying time! The members of the relay were Camille Long, Alyssa Arwood, Anna Newnam, Grace Reeder. We came oh so close to scoring in a few other relays this year, our goal should be to score in all 5 relays in the coming years.
- Overall we had 80% lifetime best times (most teams probably average 40-60% at this meet).
- We attained 5 new YNAT qualifying times during the Time Trial sessions of the meet. Those were swum by Jake Johnson, Ashleigh Lechner(2 new QT’s), Grace Reeder, Morgan Franklin.
- We had many-many new team records! We will update those for you here shortly.
- Jim Spearin, our Vice President of Youth Development, was able to make a trip over to Greensboro to support the team. It was great to have his presence at the meet and I am glad that he got the opportunity to see what YMCA swimming is all about at the highest level.
YMCA National Qualifiers who competed:
Girls: Morgan Franklin, Emma May, Emma Page, Alyssa Arwood, Ashleigh Lechner, Camille Long, Grace Reeder, Anna Newnam, Kayla Schlitt
Boys: Jake Johnson and Mitchell Stanek