May 5, 2015
Congratulations to Rudy Aguilar & Camden Murphy for being selected by USA Swimming to attend the National Diversity Select Camp! Rudy earned his selection by being the top applicant in the 200 Free, and Camden was the top applicant in the 100 Butterfly.
Each Spring, USA Swimming invites 48 athletes (24 girls and 24 boys) from underrepresented populations to participate in a three-day camp program which includes pool training, motivational and education sessions, and team-building activities. Selection is based on times swum at USA Swimming sanctioned events.
Rudy and Camden will be flown, courtesy of USA Swimming, to the U.S. Olympic Training Center (OTC) in Colorado Springs, CO, this Thursday, May 7th. The goal of the camp is to:
- Demonstrate the viability of multicultural success in swimming.
- Achieve performance excellence at every level of the sport.
- Expound the benefits and value of participating in the sport of swimming.
- Assist in recruiting more swimmers and coaches from diverse ethnicities to the sport of swimming.
- Be positive leaders and role models that others from multicultural backgrounds can emulate.
Safe travels and we can’t wait to hear about your experiences at the U.S Olympic Training Center!