May 30, 2015
STAR Open Water Swimmers & Parents,
I hope you are all looking forward to the Open Water Meet next weekend in Seven Lakes, NC. The entries have been submitted to please let me know if you have any questions regarding what you are swimming. Please be sure to look over the meet information ( https://www.teamunify.com/ncssa/UserFiles/File/NC15089OW_SSS_NC_OW_State_Championship.pdf ) to make sure you know when the pre-race meeting is for your event and plan to be there to check in at least an hour before that time.
This meet is different in that you are swimming in a lake, start in the water, wear an ankle timer and are outside all day. Important things to remember:
- We will have 10x10 pop up tent down there so please feel free to being another if you would like.
- Water & Snacks
- Chairs so sit in (we are usually set up on the damn bank or road crossing the damn)
- They will provide you a cap that you have to wear but we can mark it to identify you (sharpie)
- You will all receive a ticket for a shirt when you check in – I suggest you get that asap as they can run out of sizes.
- Additional money for snacks, etc.
- Give yourself time to get in.You have to park in a field and then are shuttled in in vans and small buses so please allow ample time as there can sometimes be a line.
Open Water Practice – We will be having an Open Water Practice this Wednesday, 6/3, at 5:00 at the home of Paul & Rhonda Thompson (3497 Summit Lakes Dr, Brown Summit, NC 27214). Please being sunscreen and water to this practice as well since you will be outside and practicing. They live on a lake in Brown Summit and have gracious enough to allow us use their yard and deck to swim from. It is a great opportunity to learn how to pace yourself, guide & judge your direction and simply get comfortable with this style of swimming. I highly recommend that you try to attend. I will be taking the van from GAC and we will be leaving the GAC at 4:30 so please let me know if you plan to ride in the van (336)337-0169.
If you are riding in the van to the meet on Friday, we are planning to leave the GAC at 3:30 so please be there by 3:25 and keep your packing to a minimum!
Let’s get ready for a great weekend and please let me know if you have any questions!