August 11, 2015
World Junior and IAR records fall at us nationals; 3 Indiana Swimmers named to 2015 USA Swimming FINA WORLD JUNIOR Swimming championship team
This summer Indiana Swimmers stood tall and were noticed at the 2015 Phillips 66 National Championship August 6-10, 2015, highlighted by Claire Adams (Carmel Swim Club)World Junior record in the 100 backstroke (59.58), which bested the old record by two tenths of a second. This swim puts Claire as the 9th fastest female 100 backstroker in the world this year, as well as the third fastest American behind only Natalie Coughlin and Missy Franklin.
Claire also won national titles in the 100 and 200 (2:09.44) backstrokes while breaking both the 17-18 and Open Indiana Association Records (IAR).
Other top performances included: Lilly King’s (Newburgh Sea Creatures) second place finish in the 100 Breaststroke (1:06.69) also breaking the 17-18 & Open IAR records and Blake Pieroni’s (Indiana University) third place finish in the 200 Freestyle (1:47.30) breaking the Open IAR.
*Additional Indiana Association Records broke at the Phillips 66 National Championships:
- Chandler Bray (Avon Community Swim Team): IAR 15-16 Boys 100 (1:01.79) & 200 (2:14.17) Breaststrokes
- Hannah Kukurugya (Crown Point Swim Club): IAR 17-18 Girls 200 Butterfly (2:10.19)
- Carmel Swim Club: IAR Open Women 400 Freestyle Relay (3:44.85) Claire Adams, Amy Bilquist, Veronica Burchill & Emma Nordin
- Indiana University: IAR Open Men’s 400 Freestyle Relay (Max Irwin, Blake Pieroni, Yianni Thermos, Hunter Hoffman)
3 Indiana Swimmers named to 2015 USA Swimming FINA WORLD JUNIOR SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIP team
3 Indiana Swimmers were selected from their top performances at the 2015 Phillips 66 National Championships to represent Team USA at the FINA World Junior Swimming Championships in Singapore, August 24-30.
- Claire Adams-Carmel Swim Club
- Hannah Kukurugya- Crown Point Swim Club
- Chandler Bray- Avon Community Swim Team
For more information visit the USA Swimming website http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=1419&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en
*Look for more highlights from all Summer Championship meet in upcoming news next week.