November 2, 2015
The 2014-2015 season was a splash for WHAT Swimming.
A 5th place finish out of 40 teams at the Connecticut Swimming Age Group Long Course Championships ended our year long training.
WHAT Swimming is nationally ranked in the top 13% of the 2,500 registered USA swim clubs in the United States and currently rank 8th out of 57 clubs in Connecticut by USA Swimming’s Virtual Club Championship program.
This past weekend, WHAT Swimming was recognized by Connecticut Swimming with the placement of 31 swimmers on their annual Top 16 Performance list for the 2014-2015 Short and Long Course Seasons. All of the listed athletes received their awards at the CT Swimming Top 16 Awards Banquet held at the Aqua Turf.
WHAT Swimmers who swam a Top 16 in the state time were: Oliver Akers, Victoria Apuzzo, Michael Baldini, Kate Bell, Clara Capone, Marissa Chow, Ailey Driscoll, John Gallant, Christina Guertain, Matthew Gwozdecke, Kimberly Hylan, Quinn Mitchell, Jake Nelson, Emma Nordquist, Mikel Palaj, Charles Perks, Owen Perks, Katharine Pillion, Alexandra Poole, Sarah Preleski, Jaee Raut, John Rinald, Amber Rocheleau, Celeste Salopek, Harrison Saperstein, Nancy Scanlon, Brett Sheldrick, Aidan Surian, Allison Surian and Erica Woods.
The WHAT swimmers were not only achieving success in the pool, but in the classroom as well, being nominated for 6 CT Swimming scholar athletes awards. Swimmers must meet the following criteria to be considered for this prestigious honor:
1. Completed 10th, 11th or 12th grade
2. Maintain a 3.5 out of 4.0 GPA for the entire 2014-2015 Academic Year
Receiving recognition at this year’s CT swimming Top 16 Banquet is: Matthew Gwozdecke (3-year recepient), Kimberly Hylan, Owen Perks, Sarah Preleski, John Rinald, Erica Woods.
In addition to the awards listed above WHAT Swimming was also awarded:
- 15-18 Women's Team High Point Award for Long Course Age Group Championship
- 15-18 Men's Team High Point Award for Short Course Age Group Championship
- Mikel Palaj was awarded the Individual Distance High Point Award for the Short Course and Long Course Championship
- Dani Rocheleau was awarded to the Individual High Point Award for the Women's 15-18 Age Group at the Long Course Championships