January 8, 2016
WHAT DO YOU DO AT A SWIM MEET?
1. Arrive at the pool before the time your coach has set for team warm-up/team meeting.
2. Find a spot in the team area
* The team area
is under the NAVY "TRIDENT SWIM CLUB" E-Z ups
* Leave your bag, chair, cooler, ect. in this area
3. Go to the "check-in" table
usually has a long line of swimmers
* Here, you will check in for your events
* You will then write your events on your hand so you don't forget them (BRING A SHARPIE)
4. Find your coach
* They will
tell you when and where to be ready for warm-up/team meeting
* The coaches will be under the coaches tents which are lined up along the competitive pool
5. Warm-up with your team
* Have your
suit on and cap, goggles and towel in hand.
* Warm ups will be crowded. JUST KEEP MOVING
6. Important rules for warm-ups:
* Enter the
water feet first; no diving
* At the end of the warm-up you will likely be able to do a few dives
* If you miss warm-ups you may only have the chance to warm up in the warm-up/warm-down pool
* Get your flag count and practice turns as the walls are different at each pool
7. During the meet:
* The event
numbers will be announced during each heat and will also be on the
scoreboard (if there is one). Pay careful attention to event
numbers, listen, and check back often for which event is currently
* Your heat and lane assignments will be posted about five events before your upcoming race. (If you are swimming event #16, you should check for your assigned heat and lane around event #11)
* See you coach before EACH race
* Warm-up and down before and after each race
* STAY OFF YOUR FEET
* EAT LITTLE HEALTHY SNACKS ALL DAY
* STAY HYDRATED.
* Keep your muscles warm by wearing clothes all day
8. Your event is up!
* The official
will blow the whistle - this means to walk up to, and stand behind
your starting block.
* There will be a second whistle - this means step up onto the starting block
* When you finish your race your time and place will appear on the scoreboard
* Get your time from your timers
* Congratulate your competitors
9. After your race
directly to your coach fro feedback
10. ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR COACHES BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR THE DAY!
NEVER LEAVE BEFORE CHECKING YOUR RESULTS...especially a Prelim Final Meet.